Search

Complaints made over Pontin’s site at Pakefield

09:00 06 January 2012

Jason Brace with one of his children Shannon outside the Pontins site in Pakefield.

He and his wife along with their six children stayed  their over the Christmas period.



Picture: James Bass

Jason Brace with one of his children Shannon outside the Pontins site in Pakefield. He and his wife along with their six children stayed their over the Christmas period. Picture: James Bass

Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2011

A PETITION is to be sent to the owners of the Pontin’s site at Pakefield after guests complained about the quality of the food, entertainment and accommodation on offer during its Christmas season.

Jason Brace, 41, has collected the names of more than 50 other couples or groups who stayed at the holiday park after claiming he and his family had endured the worst Christmas of their lives.

But Britannia Hotels, which now owns the site, said the company had not received a single complaint from guests over the festive period – and many had declared an interest in returning next year.

Mr Brace, from Harlow, Essex, 
who stayed at Pakefield with his 
wife Eleanor and six children, says he is unhappy that his family were not given a proper Christmas meal, that other meals were not cooked properly, his children became bored at a lack of entertainment and the chalet they stayed in was in a poor state.

After speaking to other guests, Mr Brace set up his petition and collected nearly 60 other names of people who said they were upset with their stay. He plans to send it to Britannia Hotels and send a copy to Suffolk Trading Standards.

Mr and Mrs Brace had opted to stay at the holiday park for the first time as they wanted to give their children a special Christmas because of the “hard year” some of them had endured, coping with a serious bowel condition.

The family’s other gripe surrounds their main Christmas meal. They claim they ended up having chilli con carne and chicken legs because they could not afford the extra cost for a traditional festive lunch.

Mr Brace said: “This has been the worst Christmas we have ever had. It has been ruined. The children are blaming me for what has happened – but I believe it is Pontin’s fault, not mine.”

One of the others to sign the petition was a 40-year-old woman from Bury St Edmunds who went to the park with five other people. The woman, who did not want to be named, said 
that because they were so unhappy 
about the quality of food on offer, they bought Pot Noodles to feed themselves. She added: “It spoiled our Christmas.”

Britannia Hotels bought Pontin’s 12 months ago after the firm had appointed administrators.

The new owners have pledged to improve facilities at the Pakefield site, which has so far seen 182 chalets refurbished.

In response to the petition and Mr Brace’s complaints, Britannia Hotels spokesman Eileen Downey said all guests, including the Brace family, had been told about the extra fee for the traditional Christmas lunch, and this was made very clear when people booked.

She stressed the company had not received one complaint from the Christmas period and 28pc of guests had expressed an interest in coming back for the next festive season.

She added: “The entertainment we booked was excellent and we have had no complaints at all.”

In support of Pontin’s, Tracy Hudson, of Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, who went to the park with a family 
group of 11, said: “We have been coming here since 1996 and we had no faults whatsover with this Christmas.”

1 comment

  • omg its gone down hill then, ive been loads times and it use to be great,, i wouldnt be happy either if i didnt have good christmas . its not cheap to go there.

    Report this comment

    dittydora

    Saturday, January 7, 2012

Other news

The fire service and police at the scene of a fire on Oulton Road North.

Picture: James Bass

An elderly man has died and another man was injured following a fire at a home in Oulton.

Zeppelin Air Raid on Lowestoft

Residents have gathered to mark the 100th anniversary of the first recorded air attack on Suffolk in the First World War.

Paul Heiney filming for Secret Rivers in his Canadian-style canoe that has been stolen

Broadcaster Paul Heiney has made an appeal for thieves who stole one of his favourite boats from a Suffolk harbour to have a conscience and return it.

Dan Minshaw is organising the event. Picture: Submitted

People who have the ‘need for speed’ are being urged to sign up to a go-karting race with a difference.

Most Read

The fire service and police at the scene of a fire on Oulton Road North.

Picture: James Bass

An elderly man has died and another man was injured following a fire at a home in Oulton.

Read more
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service
Fri, 09:00
The B&Q store on the North Quay Retail Park in Lowestoft which is closing in January 2016. Picture: James Bass

DIY chain B&Q has announced its Lowestoft store will close at the start of next year, with reportedly 40 jobs being lost.

Read more
Peter Aldous
Wed, 16:11
Beach huts on Lowestoft promenade. Picture: James Bass

A 20-year-old man who broke into 55 beach huts on a Suffolk seaside town seafront has been sentenced to 20 months detention.

Read more
Ipswich Crown Court
Zeppelin Air Raid on Lowestoft

Residents have gathered to mark the 100th anniversary of the first recorded air attack on Suffolk in the First World War.

Read more
Yesterday, 17:28
Suffolk Special Constabulary has teamed up with the Broads Authority to patrol the Suffolk Broads over the summer months. 

Picture: James Bass

High visibility patrols will be carried out along the Suffolk Broads over the summer months, with officers and the Broads Authority joining forces.

Read more
Lowestoft

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 6°C

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Lowestoft Journal e-edition today E-edition