Inquest into death of offshore worker

PUBLISHED: 17:41 07 December 2017 | UPDATED: 07:52 08 December 2017

Tyron Jones. Picture: Courtesy the Jones family.

Tyron Jones. Picture: Courtesy the Jones family.


An inquest has heard how a medic and colleagues of a Lowestoft man desperately tried to save his life after heavy equipment fell on him while on a Perenco-operated gas platform 70 miles off the Norfolk coast.

Despite being airlifted to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Tyron Leigh Jones, 43, died after suffering multiple injuries in the incident on December 5, 2016.

The hearing into the Perenco supervisor’s death, which re-opened on Wednesday at Norfolk Coroner’s Court, heard how a variable speed drive (VSD) unit weighing around 1,400kg fell on him while being unpacked from a wooden crate.

The unit had been delivered to the platform by boat the day before.

In a statement read out by Norfolk Area Coroner Yvonne Blake, medic Paul Matthews said he had started CPR on Mr Jones - who was unresponsive - soon after he was freed.

He said Mr Jones had suffered head trauma and bruising to the abdomen and left shoulder.

Despite being rushed to hospital, Mr Jones died from his injuries a day later.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation was launched into the incident and it is believed the VSD unit had at some point become unbalanced in the crate making it unstable.

Other issues raised were that the unit had not been bolted to the base of the crate and was not attached to an overhead gantry crane while Mr Jones and two colleagues were unpacking it.

Prior to its arrival on the platform, a lifting test had been carried out on the unit by Certex, a specialist lifting company based in Great Yarmouth.

Giving evidence yesterday, Certex lifting engineer Lee Manning described how he had carried out tests on the unit while it was in the crate to make sure lifting rails fitted to it were capable of carrying the load.

He said they had to remove and relocate two wooden beams from the crate to gain access to lifting points on the rails.

Mr Manning said they had fitted certified eye bolts to the rails and had then lifted the unit using a crane.

They carried out three different tests, including corner tests, and at no time did he observe any movement of the unit within the crate.

The inquest continues.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other news

12 minutes ago

Thrilled youngsters were celebrating after a new sensory room was unveiled.

Yesterday, 15:07

More icy conditions are on the way and the Met Office has issued another weather warning.

Yesterday, 15:00

It is the time of the year when family and friends get together to celebrate.

Yesterday, 13:37

A water company says it is doing all it can to minimise a nasty pong that has been plaguing Southwold.

Most Read

Yesterday, 11:42

A new free school for Lowestoft is set to open in September 2018, with the latest image of the building unveiled by the trust today.

Read more
Thu, 16:46

Three Lowestoft men are due to appear in court next year charged with an aggravated burglary that left two men requiring hospital treatment.

Read more
Ipswich Crown Court
Yesterday, 09:46

Developers hoping to build a 40-home retirement block in Lowestoft say the public response has been widely positive - despite more than a dozen objections.

Read more
Yesterday, 13:37

A water company says it is doing all it can to minimise a nasty pong that has been plaguing Southwold.

Read more
Southwold Town Council
Thu, 17:05

Almost a week after a woman was raped in a car in Lowestoft having accepted a lift in the early hours of the morning, reporter Thomas Chapman speaks to police and bar managers to get their advice on staying safe during nights out.

Read more

Later in Life


Click here to view
the Later in Life


Local Weather



max temp: 6°C

min temp: 0°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Lowestoft Journal
e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter