Lowestoft factory worker to sue Bernard Matthews for more than £200,000 after suffering massive electric shock
A Bernard Matthews turkey factory worker who suffered a massive electric shock whilst on night shift is suing for more than £200,000 damages.
Mark Chaston, 50, of Clemence Street, Lowestoft, was working in the meat preparation area at the turkey giant’s Holton Factory when disaster struck.
According to a writ issued at London’s High Court, he was using a machine called a ‘crumb vac’, and holding a ‘breader’, when the shock went through his body.
He was unable to let go of the breader until colleagues came to his aid and was taken to James Paget Hospital by ambulance.
Mr Chaston’s lawyers say the shock was so severe that both his shoulders were fractured and dislocated.
Hospitalised for a week, he needed extensive surgery and part of his left shoulder had to be replaced.
He was unable to look after himself for several months after the accident and had to be cared for by his parents.
The writ states that he still has a reduced range of movement in his left shoulder and ‘suffers constant pain’.
He had been unable to return to his previous job but had been offered alternative employment by Bernard Matthews Foods Limited.
He is said to be at risk of needing further surgery to both his shoulders in the future.
According to the writ his claim ‘is likely to be in excess of £200,000’.
The company’s defence to the claim was unavailable from the court and Mr Chaston’s case has yet to be tested before a judge.
A Bernard Matthews spokesman said: “We are fully aware of the incident that took place at our Holton factory in November 2012. It would however be inappropriate to comment any further given the possibility of legal proceedings at a later date.”