FREE GoGoDragon! stickers in today's EDP and Evening News!

Click here

Video and photos: The moment Lowestoft-based boat burst into flames - minutes after crewmen were plucked to safety

13:33 15 January 2014

The ECC Topaz sinks. Photo: Sophy McCully RNLI Lowestoft

The ECC Topaz sinks. Photo: Sophy McCully RNLI Lowestoft

Sophy McCully RNLI Lowestoft

These dramatic photographs capture the last moments of a Lowestoft-based vessel which saw its crew being plucked to safety by an RAF search and rescue helicopter after she burst into flames.

The three crewmen of the ECC Topaz were winched to safety yesterday afternoon from a life raft after their 15m workcat caught fire about nine miles off Lowestoft.

The crew were winched to safety by a RAF Sea King helicopter from Wattisham airfield in Suffolk and taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston as a precaution.

Flt Lt Bob Dewes, co-pilot of the RAF rescue helicopter, said the vessel was still burning and the crewmen were already in the life raft when they arrived.

He said the flames and a drifting plume of black smoke were visible from seven miles away.

He said: “We winched the winchman into the life raft and he assessed the casualties. Nobody needed first aid. We winched them up and took them to hospital.

“They seemed fine and were not even wet. They had all the right kit and knew what to do.”

Flt Lt Dewes said the Sea King took about 20 minutes to fly from Wattisham to the stricken boat and was on the scene for a further 20 minutes before delivering the men to hospital and returning home.

The ECC Topaz is part of a fleet operated by Lowestoft-based East Coast Charters.

The vessel had been heading out to service a wind farm when the blaze struck. Humber Coastguard co-ordinated the rescue operation and Lowestoft’s RNLI Lifeboat launched about 1pm following reports of a fire aboard the vessel.

Fleet staff coxswain of the Spirit of Lowestoft lifeboat, Phill Corsi said: “On leaving the pier heads, we could see the smoke on the horizon from the vessel.”

The lifeboat took about 45 minutes to reach the scene, and as they arrived at the burning work cat the RAF rescue helicopter had recovered the three casualties.

Mr Corsi said: “We went to recover the life raft and debris from the area, and the vessel was still burning at this stage.”

He added with the hull still up in the air as the lifeboat crew recovered life raft and debris, the workcat sank within ten minutes.

A lifeboat spokesman added: “This is what the crew train for and it was quite a major call for us, although the helicopter had rescued the crewmen just before we got there.”

Lowestoft lifeboat brought the life raft and debris back to shore with them.

The fuel and oil on board the ECC Topaz is believed to have burnt off during the blaze before the vessel sank.

Graham Dawson, watch manager at Humber Coastguard, said: “The fire was quite severe and the crew had no option but to abandon the vessel.

“The crew had the correct lifesaving equipment and rescue resources were quickly on scene.”

East Coast Charters would not make a comment last night apart from saying all three crewmen were no longer in hospital.



  • Well done Air Sea Rescue & Lowestoft Lifeboat. What is noticeable by his absence is the Great Yarmouth Port Chaplain, was he there and not mentioned?

    Report this comment

    John L Cooper

    Wednesday, January 15, 2014

  • Another great job done by our Armed Forces.Well done lads.

    Report this comment


    Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Other news

The East Anglian Air Ambulance landed on Normanston Park in Lowestoft. Picture: Bill Hone

A woman in her late 50s, who collapsed in Lowestoft last night (Monday), has died.

19 minutes ago
The Lowestoft Sea Cadets inspection evening. Picture: Yiyi Sun

Lowestoft’s Sea Cadets are in urgent in need of more recruits and adult volunteers as they approach their 50th anniversary.

Lowestoft South Pier has  re-opened after being closed for two years. Fishermen celebrate the good news.

The first fishing match to be held since the reopening of the South Pier in Lowestoft, has been hailed a huge success by organisers.

Yesterday, 15:00
John Stammers Chairman at Great Yarmouth and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group - HealthEast CIC

Anyone planning a day of family fun this summer is being urged to make sure they have some essentials in their first aid kit in case of bumps and bruises. HealthEast, the clinical commissioning group for Great Yarmouth and Waveney, is issuing advice to families in the run up to the holidays.

Most Read

The East Anglian Air Ambulance landed on Normanston Park in Lowestoft. Picture: Bill Hone

A woman in her late 50s, who collapsed in Lowestoft last night (Monday), has died.

Read more
Monday, April 4, 2011
Gregory Cook, now serving a five year prison sentence for GBH

A Lowestoft man who slid a machete along a 22-year-old’s neck during a savage attack has been jailed for five years.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:56
The A143 between Haddiscoe and St Olaves.

Picture: James Bass

A man who was airlifted to hospital following an accident on the A143 at Haddiscoe on Saturday night has died.

Read more
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
Saturday, October 25, 2014
An artists impression of how the former Zephyr Cams site may look after redevelopment.

Major plans to transform a vacant factory site in south Lowestoft with a new retail and leisure development were showcased this week.

Read more
Saturday, July 25, 2015
Homes on Aldwyck Way, Lowestoft which have been flooded. 
Laurie Goldsmith outside her home. 

Picture: James Bass

Panic-stricken residents have described how they watched helplessly as heavy rain caused flooding “devastation” in their street, with waist-high water bursting through flood defences and into their homes.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 19°C

min temp: 13°C

Digital Edition

Read the Lowestoft Journal e-edition today E-edition