Harlow Town 2 Lowestoft Town 0: Blues pay price for wasting their chances

PUBLISHED: 14:26 27 August 2017 | UPDATED: 14:26 27 August 2017

Action in the Harlow goalmouth - Rory McAuley attempts to head the ball as Dean Leacock (right) and Rossi Jarvis (10) are ready to pounce. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow

Action in the Harlow goalmouth - Rory McAuley attempts to head the ball as Dean Leacock (right) and Rossi Jarvis (10) are ready to pounce. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow

Shirley D Whitlow

In a game of numerous chances, Lowestoft failed to take any of theirs – and paid the price.

Harlow were looking for their first points of the season and had brought in Christian Scales from Norwich City to bolster their defence.

For the first time this season it was Lowestoft who made the brighter start and could easily have been three goals up inside the opening quarter. After just two minutes Adam Smith’s corner saw Rory McAuley’s header cleared off the line and Dean Leacock’s follow-up deflected up and over the bar.

Jake Reed was fouled just outside the area and Jacek Zielonka’s direct free-kick skimmed the Harlow crossbar. Callum White sent over a superb cross which was met by Zielonka whose header grazed the upright.

Scales was taking most of the set-pieces for Harlow and his free-kick from wide on the right was not far off target. However, the youngster’s game was to last only 17 minutes before he had to be substituted after appearing to damage an ankle whilst stretching for the ball.

Lowestoft were still looking the more likely to score, with Reed and McAuley both going close, but with half-time approaching Harlow were getting more into the game and issued a warning with Rossi Jarvis forced to clear a James Baker header off the line following a corner from Syrus Gordon.

The second half saw Harlow threaten more, and in the opening minute Reece Dobson flashed a header inches over. Play was send to end, but Reed should have put Lowestoft ahead after a sharp turn put him clear but with just Ben McNamara to beat his shot was saved by the Hawks’ keeper.

Harlow went ahead on 65 minutes after Dobson fell under Travis Cole’s challenge and the referee pointed to the spot – Alex Read converted the penalty, despite Ben Dudzinski getting a hand to the ball.

Four minutes later the Town defence seemed reluctant to put in a tackle on Dobson who was given acres of space to pick his spot from six yards for a second goal.

Harlow: McNamara, Shepperd, Scales (Dickens 17), Baker, Muguo, Simms, Dadson, Gordon (Vidal 85), Read, Dobson (Livings 85), Neita, Subs not used: Fagg, Lee

Lowestoft: Dudzinski, White, Barker, McAuley, Leacock, Cole, Fisk, Smith (Hodd 70), Reed, Jarvis, Zielonka (Nyadzayo 81), Subs not used: Westlake, Greenleaf, Putnins.

Attendance: 212

Referee: T Hancock

Other sport

Yesterday, 16:44

Little went right for Lowestoft Town as they dropped valuable home points and finished the game with just nine men.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Lowestoft Town will look to bounce back from a damaging midweek loss when they take on Margate this afternoon.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Lowestoft Town boss Dale Brooks admitted there could be some “tough times” ahead but is confident he can keep the Blues out of trouble.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Another good away performance saw Waveney come away with all the points against a strong and talented Wroxham Reserves outfit.

Later in Life


Click here to view
the Later in Life


Local Weather



max temp: 11°C

min temp: 10°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Lowestoft Journal
e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter