Jake Reed finally makes it an away day to remember for Lowestoft Town

08:34 16 November 2015

Jake Reed (centre) celebrates after scoring Lowestoft Town's winner. Picture: Mike Griffiths/Focus Images Ltd

Jake Reed (centre) celebrates after scoring Lowestoft Town's winner. Picture: Mike Griffiths/Focus Images Ltd

MG Sports Images

Gloucester City 0 Lowestoft Town 1

It may not have been the best game of football you’ll see this season, but that mattered not a jot for the few travelling Lowestoft fans who saw their side end a six-match winless run.

The signs had been there in the previous week’s draw with high-fliers Solihull Moors, but the players dug deep in the windswept Cotswolds to ensure they could celebrate an elusive victory.

The last time the Trawlerboys tasted victory on the road was at Alfreton way back at the start of the season when confidence was on a high.

And that confidence looks to be returning with some assured displays in tricky conditions – from young on-loan keeper Ben Killip all the way to leading scorer Jake Reed, who once again underlined his potential with the game’s only goal.

To be fair, it wasn’t plain sailing for Ady Gallagher’s side as they struggled to get out of their own half for the opening 30 minutes, the gale force wind combining with a determined Gloucester side to keep them penned in.

And Killip needed to be at his best to keep the Tigers at bay. He did well to keep out a point-blank header from Matt Williams after just three minutes and then managed to block a Tom Webb shot moments later.

The home side continued to press and a rare lapse in concentration from the Lowestoft defence saw a deep cross from Joe Hanks pick out the unmarked Chris Knowles in front of goal, but Killip was equal to the task again, blocking the header with his legs.

After weathering the storm, in more ways than one, the visitors stunned the home side with their only real effort of the half. On 34 minutes, Reed and City defender Sam Avery battled for the ball on the near-side of the area. Both ended up on the floor, but it was Reed who reacted quickest and then showed great strength and determination to drill a shot past Gloucester keeper Jasbir Singh from eight yards.

The goal took the fight out of the home side and it wasn’t until early in the second period that they went close to levelling, a Jonté Smith shot that Killip pushed around a post.

But with the Lowestoft defence holding firm and midfield taking charge, the visitors slowly began to get the upper hand. On 69 minutes, Danny Crow tried an audacious 60-yard wind-assisted lob over Singh only for the ball to sail high and wide of the Gloucester target.

Seven minutes later the excellent Michael Spillane went close when he got his head on a deep Adam Smith free-kick only to see the ball fly wide. The closing stages saw City throw men forward in search of an equaliser and it nearly came six minutes from time. A Hanks free-kick picked out sub Harry Williams and his powerful header had to be spectacularly tipped over the bar by Killip.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Lowestoft Journal visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Lowestoft Journal staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Lowestoft Journal account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Other sport

Yesterday, 10:26

Southwold bounced back from successive home defeats at the hands of London Three North East’s top two to record an impressive win on their travels.

Sunday, February 19, 2017
Shaun Bammant celebrates after scoring the only goal of the game. Photo: Shirley D Whitlow.

Shaun Bammant’s 56th-minute goal secured Lowestoft a valuable three points and left visitors Leatherhead deep in the relegation mire – but it was a game that will not live long in the memory.

Saturday, February 18, 2017
Lowestoft Town's Ryan Miles in action against Hendon in the Blues' 0-0 draw. Picture: SHIRLEY D WHITLOW

Lowestoft Town Ady Gallagher wants the Blues’ rebuilding job to be based around youth with Ryan Miles as a shining example.

Friday, February 17, 2017
Craig Poxton in action against Jamie Quinn at the Halls in Norwich. Picture: JERRY DAWS / STILLFOCUSED.CO.UK

Craig Poxton has not taken on a Southern Area title fight against Boy Jones Junior to make up the numbers.

Most Read

Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Three Waveney members with their medals from the London 10k. From left, Sarah James, Jane Spendlove and Laura Head.

Waveney Valley Athletic Club introduced beginner sessions in 2015 in order to encourage anyone with a desire to improve their fitness to do so with the help of qualified athletics coaches.

Read more
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Professional darts player, James Hubbard of Wymondham. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

James Hubbard’s stunning fall from grace continued in Wigan as he failed to win his prized tour card back.

Read more
United Kingdom

Local Weather



max temp: 11°C

min temp: 10°C


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Lowestoft Journal
e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter