Kirkley & Pakefield draw a game they should have won comfortably

PUBLISHED: 07:36 20 October 2017

Kyle Baker hits the woodwork for Kirkley & Pakefield against leaders Felixstowe & Walton on Friday evening. Picture: Steve Wood

Kyle Baker hits the woodwork for Kirkley & Pakefield against leaders Felixstowe & Walton on Friday evening. Picture: Steve Wood

Steve Wood Photography

Tuesday evening was derby time up the A47 at The Wellesley with Great Yarmouth Town hosting Kirkley & Pakefield in a league match.

The Royals were without Max Wall, who was suspended for the one game, with Jordan Haverson returning.

The visitors started strongly and in the second minute a Liam Harvey-Cooper header was brilliantly pushed over by Jack Whatmough. A good passing move then ended with Kyle Baker shooting wide before a superb 30 yard volley by Miguel Lopez thundered against the bar.

On 17 minutes a Lopez shot from 20 yards was brilliantly saved by Whatmough, a Baker header went close and Haverson shot wide.

The home team’s first real attempt at goal came on the half hour mark when a Sean Perfect shot was blocked. Then another Lopez effort from a free-kick was punched over by the keeper and Harvey-Cooper’s shot was well saved.

With Kirkley & Pakefield having completely dominated a shock was in store with the home team taking the lead on the stroke of half-time when Aaron Sanders hammered home from inside the area following a free-kick.

The Royals levelled two minutes into the second half when a superb through ball by Harvey-Cooper found Baker who took his chance well to fire past the keeper.

On 53 minutes the match turned ugly after a foul on Lopez saw the home team’s Ager and Applegate and Herbert for the Royals all shown yellow cards and the home team manager Adam Mason sent to the stands.

Two minutes after this incident the away team mounted an onslaught, with Harvey-Cooper finally putting the ball into the net for a 2-1 lead.

Lopez and Haverson then both received yellows before Sam Applegate received his marching orders for a second yellow following a tackle on Harvey-Cooper.

Down to 10 men the Bloaters equalised on 80 minutes when Mitch Forbes slammed in after a defensive mix-up.

The Royals tried hard to penetrate the home defence but man-of-the-match Whatmough stood firm.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, M Wilson, T Grint, L Hammond, J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock, J Haverson, K Baker, M Lopez, L Harvey-Cooper. Subs unused: C Eagleton, D Blades, G Williams.

Other sport

Yesterday, 09:50

The final scoreline was a fair reflection of the game, but there was no shame in Southwold’s performance, epitomised by a brave second-half fightback.

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Lowestoft Town ended a run of four consecutive league defeats, but had to settle for a point as they ground out a goalless draw against Barwell.

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Lowestoft Town assistant boss Andy Reynolds insists there are no plans to bring in another goalkeeper at the Amber Dew Events Stadium.

Friday, October 19, 2018

He’s just finished seventh in one of the world’s most gruelling physical challenges – but Joe Skipper is convinced he can go faster.

Most Read

Friday, June 30, 2017

There has been no racing at Oulton Broad for the previous two weeks due to unseasonably high winds causing dangerous water conditions - and it was again blustery as the action returned.

Read more

Autumn Supplement


Click here to view
the Autumn


Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 10°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Lowestoft Journal
e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Lowestoft Journal weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy