1,100 drivers caught speeding in Suffolk
MORE than 1,000 motorists were caught speeding in Suffolk over the last seven days, police said today.A further 91 drivers were stopped for seatbelts offences during the week-long European speed enforcement campaign in the county between last Monday and yesterday.
MORE than 1,000 motorists were caught speeding in Suffolk over the last seven days, police said today.
A further 91 drivers were stopped for seatbelts offences during the week-long European speed enforcement campaign in the county between last Monday and yesterday.
Officers were deployed countywide to increase checks and enforcement during the campaign, lead by Tispol - the European Traffic Police Network, and clampdown on those speeding or not wearing appropriate restraints.
In total 1,100 motorists were caught speeding. Police officers caught 642 of them, while fixed cameras and Suffolk Safety Camera Partnership cameras snapped a further 458.
You may also want to watch:
In a similar speeding campaign in April 2009, 719 motorists were caught speeding; in 2008 it had been 1,848.
Fixed penalty notices were issued for seatbelt offences, 90 were given in relation to adults not wearing a seatbelt and one in relation to a child. The recipients incurred a minimum of an instant �60 fine.
- 1 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 2 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 3 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 4 Repair works to be carried out along Lowestoft north Denes
- 5 Hunt continues for Mercedes driver who crashed into homes in Lowestoft
- 6 Trio 'released under investigation' following arrests outside petrol station
- 7 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 8 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 9 How visiting restrictions are easing at Norfolk's hospitals
- 10 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
In a similar seatbelt campaign in February 235 fixed penalty notices were issued.
Chief Inspector Mike Bacon from Suffolk's roads policing unit, said: 'The fall in the number of fixed penalty notices we issued for seatbelt offences in comparison to the February campaign is encouraging. However, it is disappointing to see so many drivers are still speeding on the county's roads.
'There are still too many drivers who don't seem to realise the impact driving at excessive speeds can have and this doesn't just mean driving too fast on the motorway. It is just as dangerous to drive at 40mph in a 30mph zone.
'This campaign gave us a chance to try and educate people on the issues of speeding and seatbelt offences through enforcement. We want drivers to know these offences are some of the main causation factors of fatal and serious injury collisions.
'Safety on Suffolk's roads will remain a priority all year round and by targeting those committing traffic offences we hope we can save lives.'