Attack on 12-year-old schoolgirl ‘did not take place’
- Credit: Archant
A police investigation into the alleged attack of a 12-year-old schoolgirl has concluded – with officers now satisfied that the incident did not take place.
Lowestoft police issued an appeal for witnesses after the girl was reportedly grabbed by three men in an attack on a footpath between St Margaret's Road and Church Road at about 9am last Thursday, January 25.
It was said that the three men, who were described as wearing black hooded tops and 'very drunk,' grabbed the girl and then scratched her with a broken piece of glass.
She was left with scratches to her face, arms and wrist following the incident, with the injuries described as superficial cuts, according to police.
At the time of the alleged incident police said the young girl had managed to free herself, while the attackers 'staggered away.'
Speaking on Friday, Waveney MP Peter Aldous said he was 'absolutely horrified.'
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman added that the incident happened while the 12-year-old was walking to school, and the young girl was subsequently admitted to hospital for further treatment following the attack.
But following further inquiries into the alleged assault, a police spokesman said today: 'Police have conducted further enquiries in relation to an incident in Lowestoft on Thursday last week where a 12-year-old girl reported she had sustained scratches from a broken piece of glass during an assault.
- 1 Lowestoft primary school's long-serving midday supervisor hailed after retirement
- 2 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 4 Rail service disrupted after boat hits railway bridge
- 5 Flames and spectacular laser lights illuminate skies over pier
- 6 Films to be screened across district as silent outdoor cinema launches
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder in Gorleston is released on bail
- 8 Joy as supported living service retains 'good' CQC inspection result
- 9 Wartime evacuees set to reunite in Lowestoft
- 10 Mountain bike stolen from outside gym on retail park
'Officers are now satisfied that the incident did not take place.'