A Lowestoft link to the American Civil War
STANDING proudly in a Union uniform, the young man in this faded photograph is thought to be one of 200,000 English men who fought in the American Civil War.
The image, bought at a London ephemera fair some years ago, shows a young man dressed in the clothing worn by soliders during the period of the war, from 1861-65.
Michael Hammerson, who is working on a project to locate the graves of American Civil War veterans buried in Britain, contacted Turning Back The Clock because the unidentified photograph shows that it was taken by a Mr Bevan in Lowestoft.
Mr Hammerson said that of the English men who fought in the war, as many as 10,000 have yet to be identified and there are no official lists of those who fought in the war and returned.
He said: 'Some years ago, I found this carte de visite photograph in London.
You may also want to watch:
'The subject seems, with very little doubt, to be a teenager dressed in Union uniform and therefore to date from the period of the war.
'The photographer was a Mr Bevan, of Lowestoft. As far as I can ascertain, there is no Lowestoft in the United States, suggesting that the photograph was produced in Lowestoft, Suffolk.
- 1 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 4 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 5 Peter Aldous: 'Great opportunities for future of special Lowestoft'
- 6 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 7 Brexit: What does it mean for Lowestoft's fishing industry?
- 8 'Help us make a new outside space': Appeal to transform school's playground
- 9 Covid vaccination centre opens at former court building
- 10 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
'But whether it was taken there, on the soldier's return from the war with his uniform still in his possession, or copied from a photograph of him taken while in America, I cannot tell.'
n Do you recognise the young man in the photograph? Did your ancestors fight in the American Civil War, or do you know of any local veterans' graves?
You can contact Turning Back The Clock at The Journal, 147 London Road North, Lowestoft, NR32 1NB or email firstname.lastname@example.org