Road to be closed as crucial flood defence works continue
- Credit: Jacobs Engineering Group Inc
Motorists could face delays as major flood defence work continues in a coastal town.
With preparation for the construction of tidal flood walls in Lowestoft continuing at the main site compound and base on Commercial Road in the town, overnight works will see a busy road nearby temporarily closed this week.
The A47 Waveney Road in Lowestoft will be closed for four evenings from 9pm on Tuesday, March 23 to 5am the following morning, as work continues until Saturday, March 27.
With Highways England carrying out repair works, according to the Suffolk Roadworks map, “delays are likely” while the work is carried out.
It states: "A47 Waveney Road between Station Square and Suffolk Road" will be closed "for maintenance works."
The crucial flood defence work is continuing to protect 1,500 homes and 800 businesses in the town - with solid flood walls to be built around the north harbour, north of the Hamilton Road dock basin and south of Hamilton Road.
You may also want to watch:
Construction of the flood walls, which is set to begin in the spring, is expected to be complete by summer 2022.
Keep up to date with the latest delays by viewing our Live Traffic Map.
- 1 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 2 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 3 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 4 Repair works to be carried out along Lowestoft north Denes
- 5 Hunt continues for Mercedes driver who crashed into homes in Lowestoft
- 6 Trio 'released under investigation' following arrests outside petrol station
- 7 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 8 How visiting restrictions are easing at Norfolk's hospitals
- 9 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 10 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed