Record number attend annual pantomime featuring Ann Widdecombe and Mark Read
- Credit: Archant
The Marina Theatre's latest production has gone down as the venue's most successful to date.
Aladdin, which ran for 32 performances in Lowestoft, starred A1 boyband heartthrob Mark Read in the hero's role and former Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe - who has since entered the Celebrity Big Brother house - as the Empress of China.
More than 12,600 people - a record number - went to see the show, which was the highest grossing pantomime produced by the Marina Theatre and award-winning producers Paul Holman Associates.
Performances also featured popular funnyman Terry Gleed, who appeared in his third consecutive Lowestoft pantomime, Mia Richards as Princess Jasmine and the returning Fenton Gray as Widow Twankey.
The main cast was completed by Aaron Spendelow as the Genie of the Lamp, Deearna McLean as Slave of the Ring, and Darren Clewlow-Smith in the role of Abanazar - Aladdin's arch-nemesis.
You may also want to watch:
The classic tale received rave reviews in the press and on social media throughout the festive period and there was even a marriage proposal live on stage. Thankfully, she said yes.
Lee Henderson, chief executive of the Marina Theatre, said: 'To hear that so many people enjoyed our fantastic family pantomime makes it all worthwhile for us at the Marina Theatre.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 2 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 5 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 6 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 7 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 8 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 9 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in
- 10 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
'I would like to thank everyone who came to see Aladdin in what turned out to be a record year for us. In this ever-changing world, your support helps us to remain a vital community resource for our town and allows us to continue attracting top quality performers.
'Our fabulous and talented cast were a pleasure to work with.'
Visitors to the Marina will be flying away to Neverland for the Marina's 2018 pantomime after Peter Pan was announced as the theatre's next fun-filled adventure.
'We hope you can join us for Peter Pan, which will be showcased at the end of this year,' added Mr Henderson.
'We also look forward to presenting our diverse programme of events to you for the rest of the year – with something on offer for everyone.'
Tickets are already available for Peter Pan, with seats starting at just £8.
Anyone looking to book tickets can visit the Marina Theatre website or call the box office on 01502 533200.