Record number attend annual pantomime featuring Ann Widdecombe and Mark Read
- Credit: Archant
The Marina Theatre's latest production has gone down as the venue's most successful to date.
Aladdin, which ran for 32 performances in Lowestoft, starred A1 boyband heartthrob Mark Read in the hero's role and former Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe - who has since entered the Celebrity Big Brother house - as the Empress of China.
More than 12,600 people - a record number - went to see the show, which was the highest grossing pantomime produced by the Marina Theatre and award-winning producers Paul Holman Associates.
Performances also featured popular funnyman Terry Gleed, who appeared in his third consecutive Lowestoft pantomime, Mia Richards as Princess Jasmine and the returning Fenton Gray as Widow Twankey.
The main cast was completed by Aaron Spendelow as the Genie of the Lamp, Deearna McLean as Slave of the Ring, and Darren Clewlow-Smith in the role of Abanazar - Aladdin's arch-nemesis.
You may also want to watch:
The classic tale received rave reviews in the press and on social media throughout the festive period and there was even a marriage proposal live on stage. Thankfully, she said yes.
Lee Henderson, chief executive of the Marina Theatre, said: 'To hear that so many people enjoyed our fantastic family pantomime makes it all worthwhile for us at the Marina Theatre.
- 1 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 2 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 3 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 6 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 7 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 8 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 9 Police officers could lose jobs over father's holiday park death
- 10 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
'I would like to thank everyone who came to see Aladdin in what turned out to be a record year for us. In this ever-changing world, your support helps us to remain a vital community resource for our town and allows us to continue attracting top quality performers.
'Our fabulous and talented cast were a pleasure to work with.'
Visitors to the Marina will be flying away to Neverland for the Marina's 2018 pantomime after Peter Pan was announced as the theatre's next fun-filled adventure.
'We hope you can join us for Peter Pan, which will be showcased at the end of this year,' added Mr Henderson.
'We also look forward to presenting our diverse programme of events to you for the rest of the year – with something on offer for everyone.'
Tickets are already available for Peter Pan, with seats starting at just £8.
Anyone looking to book tickets can visit the Marina Theatre website or call the box office on 01502 533200.