Amanda’s popular chip shop reopens after fire in Lowestoft
PUBLISHED: 16:24 27 March 2015 | UPDATED: 16:24 27 March 2015
Having worked in a chip shop for over 20 years, it came as a huge shock when Amanda Dickson saw her beloved business severely damaged by fire in October last year.
But after being closed for five months, the chippy on Kirkley Run is back in business and frying up some of their much loved fish and chip deals.
The devastating blaze began in the extractor unit which damaged all of the fryers, along with the floor and walls- all of which have been refurbished and replaced.
In addition, a new ceiling and windows have also been installed.
Mrs Dickson did not want to go into detail about how much the refurbishment of the shop has cost, but said it was in the region of “thousands of pounds”.
“Structurally there was not much damage at all, but fire spreads very quickly to the pans and things,” Mrs Dickson said.
“The firemen were very quick and here within minutes and they probably saved us a lot of money.
“When it happened I was frightened because I was in the shop and it was the first time I had experienced a fire.
“I was so shocked but then I thought that I needed to think positively moving forward.”
Mrs Dickson has also described that the repair works were “a straight forward process” with businesses and fitters “working with each other to get everything open as quickly as they could”.
Now the chip shop is back open, Mrs Dickson and her staff are hopeful of welcoming back some of the shops’ regular customers, as well as attracting some new trade.
“I am felling really happy, it is so good to be back.
“All of our regulars are glad that we are open again and we will just carry on offering the best service we can.
“We provide a quality product which I think reflects value for money.
“After all of those mixed emotions of stress and shock of losing business, I have started coming into the place feeling hopeful again.”
The chip shop is the second to reopen after fire in recent weeks.
The Village Rise Fish and Chip Shop, in Weston Road, also started trading again after a blaze that is believed to have started in the ducting.
Owner Joe Rosati said he was “overwhelmed with the support” they had received.
Are you celebrating a business success story? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.