Search

Angling ban to be lifted

PUBLISHED: 09:57 21 July 2009 | UPDATED: 10:58 06 July 2010

A BAN on anglers fishing at four prime mooring spots on the Broads during the high boating season is to be lifted earlier than planned, it was announced yesterday.

A BAN on anglers fishing at four prime mooring spots on the Broads during the high boating season is to be lifted earlier than planned, it was announced yesterday.

The Broads Authority ban was imposed at Postwick Wharf and Bramerton on the River Yare and Worlingham and Beccles on the River Waveney after disputes between a small group anglers and boat owners.

Originally the restriction was meant to run until October 31 but yesterday after a series of negotiations the Broads Authority said it would be lifted a month earlier on September 30.

The ban was implemented by the Broads Angling Strategy Group(BASG) at the four sites from June 16 after arguments between boat owners and anglers.

There were reports that inconsiderate anglers had refused to let boats moor at the four sites and that boats even had maggots thrown at them.

The ban was modified after an extraordinary meeting of the BASG in which angling representatives met Broads Authority and Environment Agency officers to discuss the problem.

It was also agreed that a new access committee will be formed to assess possible new site for angling on the River Yare.

Adrian Clarke, Broad projects co-ordinator, said: “The Broads Authority can not allow inconsiderate behaviour to spoil the boating experience for people who are seeking peace and relaxation on the Broads.

“However we are working closely with the BASG and Environment Agency to give anglers their own space.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists