Bascule bridge is a bane
THE opening of the bascule bridge has always been the bane of Lowestoftians.But there was a time when it was part of the town's life, with trawlers mooring up river for repairs, etc, or grain and shipyard traffic.
THE opening of the bascule bridge has always been the bane of Lowestoftians.
But there was a time when it was part of the town's life, with trawlers mooring up river for repairs, etc, or grain and shipyard traffic. While waiting to cross you often saw men you knew on deck working so you knew that this inconvenience was part of the town's working life.
But now it's opened every few minutes to allow pleasure craft, owned mainly by folk from away who contribute little or nothing to the town's economy.
To have a marina on the inland side of the bridge is not a good idea, who benefits?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 2 New shops could be unveiled at prominent former family-run business
- 3 Man jailed after police seize cannabis worth £15,000 from car
- 4 Jewellery stolen after burglars raid home in Lowestoft
- 5 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 6 'Suspicious' sighting in the sea sparks late night response in Lowestoft
- 7 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 8 Burglar attempts to rob store with metal bar as weapon
- 9 Two men bailed in connection with firearm offences
- 10 New book shines 'the spotlight' on coastal town's past and present
St Johns Road