Bascule bridge is a bane
THE opening of the bascule bridge has always been the bane of Lowestoftians.But there was a time when it was part of the town's life, with trawlers mooring up river for repairs, etc, or grain and shipyard traffic.
THE opening of the bascule bridge has always been the bane of Lowestoftians.
But there was a time when it was part of the town's life, with trawlers mooring up river for repairs, etc, or grain and shipyard traffic. While waiting to cross you often saw men you knew on deck working so you knew that this inconvenience was part of the town's working life.
But now it's opened every few minutes to allow pleasure craft, owned mainly by folk from away who contribute little or nothing to the town's economy.
To have a marina on the inland side of the bridge is not a good idea, who benefits?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'One crazy decision' - Mother's anguish over son's death as dealer jailed
- 2 Five new businesses to discover in Lowestoft as lockdown eases
- 3 Sergeant reveals what's in store for new TV show with Suffolk police team
- 4 Smokehouse to be showcased on BBC One’s Antiques Road Trip
- 5 Police thank public after tracing Lowestoft woman
- 6 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 7 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 8 Boy attacked by man in woodland in Lowestoft
- 9 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 10 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
St Johns Road