Bascule bridge is a bane
THE opening of the bascule bridge has always been the bane of Lowestoftians.But there was a time when it was part of the town's life, with trawlers mooring up river for repairs, etc, or grain and shipyard traffic.
THE opening of the bascule bridge has always been the bane of Lowestoftians.
But there was a time when it was part of the town's life, with trawlers mooring up river for repairs, etc, or grain and shipyard traffic. While waiting to cross you often saw men you knew on deck working so you knew that this inconvenience was part of the town's working life.
But now it's opened every few minutes to allow pleasure craft, owned mainly by folk from away who contribute little or nothing to the town's economy.
To have a marina on the inland side of the bridge is not a good idea, who benefits?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 2 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary
- 3 Smirking teen in tank top and baseball cap exposes himself to woman
- 4 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 5 Fire crews called to fisheries laboratory in Lowestoft
- 6 Lowestoft men to be sentenced after admitting assault of man
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency in Southwold
- 8 Last chance to have your say on plans for 150 new Lowestoft homes
- 9 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 10 Teenager arrested following alleged assault in Lowestoft
St Johns Road