Popular lido reopens for summer season
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Swimming was all the rage in a sunny Beccles as the popular Lido reopened for the summer season.
The pool, in Puddingmore, reopened at 7.30am on Saturday, May 26, for the first time since the end of last year's season.
The lido team are hoping to raise £100,000 or more to help reline the main pool in time for the 2019 summer season following the success of a similar campaign last year to replace the old toilet block with a modern facility.
That campaign proved to be a huge success with donations from residents, local organisations and sponsored events pulling in £32,000.
Lido director Shaun Crowley said: 'It has been great and really busy. The weather has been great as well and we have had 450 people today which is a nice opening Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
'We opened at 7.30am but I got down here a little bit before that in order to chat to some people in the queue.
'The first three in the queue were three boys, Owen, Robert, and Darryl, who had been first in the queue last year and were first this year as well.
- 1 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 2 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 5 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 6 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 7 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 8 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 9 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in
- 10 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
'They told me they got up at 4am to be the first in the queue at 6am and I think they were the first in the pool and the first portion of chips to come out of the kitchen!'
He added: 'There was about 30 people in the queue to get in when we opened and most were familiar faces who have been swimming here for many years. 'Our website went live this week and it really is all of the information you need about the Lido in a nice format for the first time.
'It includes admission prices and parking and the information and the link to our fundraising campaign to replace the pool's lining.
'We're challenging the community to raise the first £12,000 for the lining which will cost around £100,000.
'This means that when we go to apply for these big grants, we are really able to demonstrate that they community wants this facility.'
You can help Beccles Lido reach their fundraising target by going to their website and following the links to their fundraising pages, including their Virgin Money Giving page. Alternatively, you can text 'Lido01 £1' to 70070 if you had an enjoyable swim.