Bid to make busy Lowestoft junction safer
PEDESTRIANS and cyclists should soon find it easier to cross one of Lowestoft's busiest road junctions.
Suffolk County Council is carrying out improvement work on the traffic lights at the Belvedere Road-London Road South junction, to make it safer for people to cross.
The work begins on Monday and will take about two weeks to complete, with the new traffic signal arrangement due to come into effect from Sunday, November 21.
The work will be phased to minimise disruption to traffic on Belvedere Road and Pier Terrace, and this will be done in conjunction with the tidal flow over the Bascule Bridge.
The council says that while efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum, there may be some minor delays while the contractor switches sides and alters the lanes to match the tidal flow on the Bascule Bridge. Drivers should allow extra time for their journeys while this work is taking place.
You may also want to watch:
During the mornings, when there are two lanes northbound and one lane southbound on the Bascule Bridge, work will only take place on the south side of Belvedere Road. This means that two lanes on the north side will remain open to traffic, while reducing the south side to one lane.
At 11:30am every day, when the tidal flow on the Bascule Bridge switches to one lane northbound and two lanes southbound, work will switch to the north side of Belvedere Road, maintaining two lanes on the south side and reducing the north side to one lane.
- 1 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 2 Local elections 2021: Green gains and Conservative majority in east Suffolk
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Man who set up cannabis farm warned he will be jailed
- 5 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 6 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 7 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 8 'Absolutely amazing' - Visually impaired teen completes walking challenge
- 9 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'