Search

Blaze at Suffolk pub

PUBLISHED: 09:51 26 May 2009 | UPDATED: 09:46 06 July 2010

CONTAMINATED rags are thought to have spontaneously combusted, causing a fire at an historic Suffolk pub.

The blaze broke out around 6pm last night (Monday) in an outbuilding at the White Horse in Sibton.

CONTAMINATED rags are thought to have spontaneously combusted, causing a fire at an historic Suffolk pub.

The blaze broke out around 6pm last night (Monday) in an outbuilding at the White Horse in Sibton.

Fire crews from Halesworth and Saxmundham were sent to the 16th Century Tudor inn, which was left smoke-logged by the blaze.

Steve Mableson, station manager at Lowestoft fire station, said: “I think it was purely down to bad luck. We think the fire was due to contaminated rags. It's quite possible to have oil contaminated rags spontaneously combust.”

The fire left the two-storey premises smoked-logged, forcing it to shut for the rest of the evening while the building was ventilated.

The blaze damaged electrics and a tumble dryer, but it was put out within 30 minutes of firefighters being called.

No one was hurt during the incident.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists