Boat rescued during heavy storm off Lowestoft
Hayley MaceA catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.Hayley Mace
A catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.
The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats and an RAF rescue helicopter from Wattisham were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.
The catamaran, which had one crew member on board, was towed safely back into Lowestoft by 7am.
A spokesman for the Lowestoft lifeboat said: 'The lifeboats launched at the height of the storms. There was also a war ship nearby which received the call and actually got to the boat first.
'The boat had electrical problems and had lost its rudder. The one man on board was also suffering from severe seasickness and the boat was starting to take water in.
'It was towed into Lowestoft and was back by about 7am.'
- 1 Three people arrested in Lowestoft as part of burglary crackdown
- 2 Man appears in court for Lowestoft arson offences
- 3 Region's rebel MP: 'Im not grumpy' just acting in my peoples' best interests
- 4 Teenager arrested on suspicion of arson after Lowestoft fire
- 5 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 6 'I was just really drunk' - man squared up to police after pub call-out
- 7 Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge
- 8 Lowestoft lighting the way in region's fight against food waste
- 9 Part of A47 closed in Lowestoft due to incident
- 10 Police release CCTV after Honda stolen from car park
The man on board was not injured.