Boat rescued during heavy storm off Lowestoft
Hayley MaceA catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.Hayley Mace
A catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.
The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats and an RAF rescue helicopter from Wattisham were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.
The catamaran, which had one crew member on board, was towed safely back into Lowestoft by 7am.
A spokesman for the Lowestoft lifeboat said: 'The lifeboats launched at the height of the storms. There was also a war ship nearby which received the call and actually got to the boat first.
'The boat had electrical problems and had lost its rudder. The one man on board was also suffering from severe seasickness and the boat was starting to take water in.
'It was towed into Lowestoft and was back by about 7am.'
- 1 Vandals target parked car with damage caused overnight
- 2 Lowestoft's new beach huts hit the market at £30,000 each
- 3 Coastwatch volunteer encourages public to stay on the lookout for body parts
- 4 Man arrested and charged following robbery at Shell garage
- 5 Lowestoft Co-op now on Just Eat
- 6 Woman arrested after cannabis and edible highs seized in police raid
- 7 Taco Bell set to open in McDonald's former town centre premises
- 8 Family of 'beautiful' Tilli, five, launch appeal to aid rehabilitation
- 9 Find a new family for cat made homeless after a puppy moved in
- 10 WATCH: Moment teen pulls BB gun on shopkeeper
The man on board was not injured.