Boat rescued during heavy storm off Lowestoft
Hayley MaceA catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.Hayley Mace
A catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.
The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats and an RAF rescue helicopter from Wattisham were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.
The catamaran, which had one crew member on board, was towed safely back into Lowestoft by 7am.
A spokesman for the Lowestoft lifeboat said: 'The lifeboats launched at the height of the storms. There was also a war ship nearby which received the call and actually got to the boat first.
You may also want to watch:
'The boat had electrical problems and had lost its rudder. The one man on board was also suffering from severe seasickness and the boat was starting to take water in.
'It was towed into Lowestoft and was back by about 7am.'
- 1 Could direct trains run from Lowestoft to London again?
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 6 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 7 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
- 8 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 9 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 10 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
The man on board was not injured.