Boat rescued during heavy storm off Lowestoft
Hayley MaceA catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.Hayley Mace
A catamaran had to be rescued during heavy storms off the coast of Lowestoft in the early hours of this morning.
The Lowestoft and Caister lifeboats and an RAF rescue helicopter from Wattisham were called just after 1am to help the vessel, which had sent out a mayday call and was about 21 miles off Lowestoft.
The catamaran, which had one crew member on board, was towed safely back into Lowestoft by 7am.
A spokesman for the Lowestoft lifeboat said: 'The lifeboats launched at the height of the storms. There was also a war ship nearby which received the call and actually got to the boat first.
You may also want to watch:
'The boat had electrical problems and had lost its rudder. The one man on board was also suffering from severe seasickness and the boat was starting to take water in.
'It was towed into Lowestoft and was back by about 7am.'
- 1 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 2 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 5 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 6 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 7 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
- 8 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 9 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 10 Great-great-grandmother celebrates 101st birthday
The man on board was not injured.