Body found in search for Lowestoft man
AN extensive search for a Lowestoft man, who was reported missing from his home in the town, has led to a body being found.The 60-year-old man, who was reported missing last week, was found by one of the search teams in a wooded area, known as Hill Covert.
AN extensive search for a Lowestoft man, who was reported missing from his home in the town, has led to a body being found.
The 60-year-old man, who was reported missing last week, was found by one of the search teams in a wooded area, known as Hill Covert.
'Officers conducting a search for a 60-year-old man reported missing, found the body of man hanging from a tree,' police spokesman Anne-Marie Breach told The Journal.
The man was reported missing just after 9.35pm on Wednesday, last week, and searches of areas of north Lowestoft were subsequently carried out.
'These were carried out on the ground in rough weather conditions but this was called off just before 2am,' Ms Breach said. Searches resumed on Thursday morning and police received information that a man matching the description of the missing person had been seen walking towards woods near Pleasurewood Hills on Wednesday morning. Police continued searching, with the Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue and the National Search and Rescue Dog Association, and the body of the man was found around 12.45pm on Thursday.
An inquest is due to be held and Ms Breach added: 'At this stage there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances but, as is standard procedure, the death is currently being treated as unexplained, pending further enquiries.'
- 1 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 2 Thug who 'climbed in window and threatened man for over an hour' is jailed
- 3 'It will look fantastic': Work to restore former Post Office under way
- 4 'A real gent' - Father raising awareness of rare cancer passes away aged 61
- 5 New trees planted on disused piece of land as Community Garden is unveiled
- 6 'A fantastic accolade': Top award honour for community staff nurse
- 7 Weightlifter abused hospital staff after five day drinking binge
- 8 'Something special': First Light Festival to return with new events
- 9 Bikes stolen in garage break-ins and separate theft in Lowestoft
- 10 Man punched in face in Lowestoft supermarket car park