Bookies make Norwich early favourities to win City of Culture status
Peter WalshNorwich has emerged as the bookies favourite to be named the UK's first ever City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.Peter Walsh
Norwich has emerged as bookies favourite to be named the UK's City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.
Following the announcement on Wednesday that Norwich had been shortlisted by ministers, bookies have been quick to install Norwich as early favourites for the honour.
William Hill Bookmakers have put Norwich at 6/4 favourites with Sheffield 9/4, Birmingham 3/1, and Derry/Londonderry 4/1 all following in the city's wake.
City and county leaders have issued a rallying cry for public support after Norwich was shortlisted for the title which will be marked by a year of celebrations in 2013.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Could direct trains run from Lowestoft to London again?
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 6 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 7 Flood warning as Suffolk set for 23 hours of heavy rain later this week
- 8 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
- 9 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day