Bookies make Norwich early favourities to win City of Culture status
Peter WalshNorwich has emerged as the bookies favourite to be named the UK's first ever City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.Peter Walsh
Norwich has emerged as bookies favourite to be named the UK's City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.
Following the announcement on Wednesday that Norwich had been shortlisted by ministers, bookies have been quick to install Norwich as early favourites for the honour.
William Hill Bookmakers have put Norwich at 6/4 favourites with Sheffield 9/4, Birmingham 3/1, and Derry/Londonderry 4/1 all following in the city's wake.
City and county leaders have issued a rallying cry for public support after Norwich was shortlisted for the title which will be marked by a year of celebrations in 2013.
- 1 Woman shot by pellet gun when leaving Lowestoft shop
- 2 Lowestoft man battling back after prostate cancer diagnosis
- 3 Seven places to get a fry-up in Lowestoft
- 4 Have you got any memories of the James Paget hospital when it opened?
- 5 East Anglia’s ports tap into fast-growing domestic cruise market
- 6 Nurseries, pre-schools and primaries see Covid rate rises
- 7 Mum 'ecstatic' as SEND placement finally found for son with complex needs
- 8 Popular bookstore looking ahead to next new chapter in Lowestoft
- 9 First Buses to change tickets to make travel simpler
- 10 Lowestoft man used toy gun to steal can of Dr Pepper from kebab shop