Bookies make Norwich early favourities to win City of Culture status
Peter WalshNorwich has emerged as the bookies favourite to be named the UK's first ever City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.Peter Walsh
Norwich has emerged as bookies favourite to be named the UK's City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.
Following the announcement on Wednesday that Norwich had been shortlisted by ministers, bookies have been quick to install Norwich as early favourites for the honour.
William Hill Bookmakers have put Norwich at 6/4 favourites with Sheffield 9/4, Birmingham 3/1, and Derry/Londonderry 4/1 all following in the city's wake.
City and county leaders have issued a rallying cry for public support after Norwich was shortlisted for the title which will be marked by a year of celebrations in 2013.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 2 New shops could be unveiled at prominent former family-run business
- 3 Man jailed after police seize cannabis worth £15,000 from car
- 4 Jewellery stolen after burglars raid home in Lowestoft
- 5 'Suspicious' sighting in the sea sparks late night response in Lowestoft
- 6 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 7 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 8 Burglar attempts to rob store with metal bar as weapon
- 9 Two men bailed in connection with firearm offences
- 10 New book shines 'the spotlight' on coastal town's past and present