Bookies make Norwich early favourities to win City of Culture status
Peter WalshNorwich has emerged as the bookies favourite to be named the UK's first ever City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.Peter Walsh
Norwich has emerged as bookies favourite to be named the UK's City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.
Following the announcement on Wednesday that Norwich had been shortlisted by ministers, bookies have been quick to install Norwich as early favourites for the honour.
William Hill Bookmakers have put Norwich at 6/4 favourites with Sheffield 9/4, Birmingham 3/1, and Derry/Londonderry 4/1 all following in the city's wake.
City and county leaders have issued a rallying cry for public support after Norwich was shortlisted for the title which will be marked by a year of celebrations in 2013.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 4 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 5 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 6 Peter Aldous: 'Great opportunities for future of special Lowestoft'
- 7 Brexit: What does it mean for Lowestoft's fishing industry?
- 8 'My life as a young carer' - Woman's new book aims to support others
- 9 'Help us make a new outside space': Appeal to transform school's playground
- 10 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed