Bookies make Norwich early favourities to win City of Culture status
Peter WalshNorwich has emerged as the bookies favourite to be named the UK's first ever City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.Peter Walsh
Norwich has emerged as bookies favourite to be named the UK's City of Culture in 2013 - a title which could help provide a �200m boost to the local economy.
Following the announcement on Wednesday that Norwich had been shortlisted by ministers, bookies have been quick to install Norwich as early favourites for the honour.
William Hill Bookmakers have put Norwich at 6/4 favourites with Sheffield 9/4, Birmingham 3/1, and Derry/Londonderry 4/1 all following in the city's wake.
City and county leaders have issued a rallying cry for public support after Norwich was shortlisted for the title which will be marked by a year of celebrations in 2013.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Lowestoft woman accused of setting her own flat on fire
- 2 Fire fighters battle woodland blaze near Lowestoft
- 3 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 4 Girl's horse riding dreams shattered after vandals target equipment
- 5 New dance academy on the lookout for members of all abilities
- 6 Charity hero calls for more defibrillators after Eriksen collapse
- 7 Development of iconic Gull Wing bridge to be documented by local company
- 8 ‘Great opportunity’: Flats in coastal town set for auction
- 9 North Suffolk road to close with traffic diverted for gully repairs
- 10 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft