Boxer Herbie Hide declared bankrupt
David BaleNorfolk's former world heavyweight boxing champion Herbie Hide today laughed off suggestions he was broke, after it emerged he had been declared bankrupt for the second time.David Bale
Norfolk's former world heavyweight boxing champion Herbie Hide today laughed off suggestions he was broke, after it emerged he had been declared bankrupt for the second time.
The bankruptcy order was made in Norwich County Court, and comes just three months after the two-time champion was ordered to pay �35,000 in damages to boxing promoter Frank Warren.
However, the boxer, who came out of retirement to fight as a cruiserweight in Germany last year, was dismissive of suggestions he was not still rolling in cash.
Mr Hide insisted that the bankruptcy order would not affect his life. He said: 'How is it going to affect me? I'm not broke. I still live in my mansion and I still drive my car and I still go to Las Vegas, so how can I be broke?'
You may also want to watch:
The bankruptcy order means Mr Hide's non-essential assets (property and possessions) and excess income will be used to pay off his creditors, but it is unknown if these assets could include his �1m mansion at Bawburgh near Norwich.
Licensed insolvency practitioner David Whitehead, from East Anglian firm Larking Gowen, has been appointed as trustee in bankruptcy for Mr Hide.
- 1 Lowestoft house fire starts in tumble dryer and rips through conservatory
- 2 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 3 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 4 Acid attack victim opens heart to TV star on true crime show
- 5 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 6 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 7 Adapted trike helping to fulfil dreams and bring back 'happy memories'
- 8 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 9 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 10 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
Mr Whitehead said he would be writing to all known creditors shortly, but in the meantime if anyone had any relevant information they should call 0845 4502466.
In September last year Mr Hide, who boxed for Norwich Lads' Club as a boy and first stepped into the ring in October 1989, was warned he could face jail after failing to pay outstanding fines.
The winner of the WBO world title in 1994 and 1997 appeared at Norwich Magistrates' Court after failing to pay a �3,767 fine imposed on him for driving offences three years before.
More recently his autobiography 'Herbie Hide: Nothing But Trouble, My Story' has attracted more positive media coverage and he has appeared in our region on book signing tours.
Mr Hide was declared bankrupt for the first time 10 years ago, after he became the subject of a bankruptcy order at Norwich County Court over his failure to pay �1,000 on a car repair bill.
He was back in the headlines in April 2007 when police officers called at his home to help cut off his electricity. The officers were sent in case there was trouble between the boxer and Powergen staff.
Frank Warren was rewarded �35,000 in damages after Mr Hide made defamatory comments during a telephone interview on the Steve Bunce Boxing Hour on the now defunct Setanta Sports News channel on July 17 last year. The judge awarded the promoter damages and also granted him an injunction preventing Mr Hide repeating the allegations.