Bungalow blaze treated as suspicious

A BLAZE that tore through a derelict bungalow is being treated as suspicious. The bungalow in Cucumber Lane, Beccles, was severely damaged after a fire broke out just after 1.

A BLAZE that tore through a derelict bungalow is being treated as suspicious.

The bungalow in Cucumber Lane, Beccles, was severely damaged after a fire broke out just after 1.30am on Monday.

Crews from Beccles, Bungay and Lowestoft and the water carrier from Leiston attended the fire.

They arrived to find the building well alight and firefighters used jets and hose-reels to bring the blaze under control.


You may also want to watch:


The bungalow is believed to have been empty for some time and no-one was injured.

Smoke could still be seen rising from the structure during Monday afternoon as Tim Bray, watch manager at Beccles fire station, and crew manager Phil Spooner, returned to re-inspect the building.

Most Read

They used a thermal image camera to check for any hot spots.

Mr Bray said: 'The property has been derelict for a number of years. We arrived at about 1.35am and by then the fire had taken hold of the whole property. We were here until about 9am.'

The building had been severely damaged, he said, and had partially collapsed at the rear.

It is understood the plot on which the bungalow stands is currently for sale.

Police were also asked to attend as the incident is being treated as suspicious.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus