Burglars facing jail for vicious attack in Lowestoft

CRIME SCENE: A police officer stands guard outside the house in Cambridge Road, Lowestoft, last July

CRIME SCENE: A police officer stands guard outside the house in Cambridge Road, Lowestoft, last July after the aggravated burglary in which two women were seriously injured. - Credit: Archant © 2012

Two men are facing jail sentences after a 'nasty and vicious' aggravated burglary which left a mother and daughter with serious injuries at their home in central Lowestoft.

GUILTY: Leslie Colvin

GUILTY: Leslie Colvin - Credit: Archant

Leslie Colvin and Alan Harwood forced their way into a house in Cambridge Road in the early hours of Monday, August 27 and attacked the two women. One of the men was wearing a black balaclava and the other had a white pillowcase over his face as they broke the door down and repeatedly hit their terrified victims.

Colvin, 31, of London Road South, Lowestoft, had denied aggravated burglary and two counts of grievous bodily harm but was convicted by a jury at Ipswich Crown Court on Tuesday.

Harwood, 30, of High Street, Lowestoft, had pleaded guilty to the same offences as the trial was about to start.

Both defendants were remanded in custody to be sentenced at a later date.

You may also want to watch:

Speaking after the hearing, a Lowestoft police spokesman said officers were initially called to the scene by an obervant neighbour after reports of a disturbance at the mid-terrace property.

On arrival, officers found the front door smashed in. They then discovered a 47-year-old woman and a 28-year-old woman, both with serious injuries, in a back room at the property.

Most Read

Police said that at 2.35am there had been a bang on the door, waking the occupants, and the two attackers forced their way into the property, viciously assaulting both women.

The mother was repeatedly struck around the head, suffering life-threatening injuries including a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain. Her daughter was hit with a crowbar and suffered a broken arm and head wounds.

Gold jewellery and a handbag were handed over before both men fled via the front door.

Both women were initially taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston, but the mother was later transferred to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

The police spokesman said: 'From the information passed to us, officers began inquiries to trace the two involved, who were quickly identified as Colvin and Harwood, and to gather evidence to prosecute them.

'Harwood was arrested a day later on August 28 while Colvin, who was known to the women, was arrested on September 6 after his name was circulated as being wanted for the crime.'

Speaking after the hearing, Det Chief Insp Steve Mattin, senior investigating officer in the case, said he was pleased Colvin had been found guilty.

He said: 'This was a nasty and vicious attack in the early hours of the morning on two defenceless women in their own home. While the incident was not random, it was shocking in its severity and it is only due to luck and the skill of medical staff that the 47-year-old woman survived.

'I would like to thank the officers who investigated this crime and members of the community who helped us gather sufficient evidence to secure this result, and pay tribute to the strength of character of the victims, who bravely gave their account to ensure Colvin's conviction.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus