Bus company marks falls day
BUS operator First is marking National Falls Awareness Day today by encouraging older people to travel safely on their buses. First has linked up with NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney to highlight the steps older people can take to ensure they stay safe when out and about.
BUS operator First is marking National Falls Awareness Day today by encouraging older people to travel safely on their buses.
First has linked up with NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney to highlight the steps older people can take to ensure they stay safe when out and about.
The bus operator is producing a number of limited-edition 'Get on Board' travel wallets for older customers. It comes as First supports Help the Aged/Age Concern's 'Get on Board' campaign and the charity's activities which have been designed to focus attention on falls on buses - the theme of this year's National Falls Awareness Day.
The wallets are designed to incorporate concessionary bus passes, information on how to stay safe, as well as a special Safe Journey Card, which has been produced by First for older people to use to alert bus drivers of any difficulties they may have when travelling by bus such as needing extra time to sit down or asking the driver to speak slowly if they are hard of hearing.
You may also want to watch:
The wallets and Safe Journey cards will be distributed at special events today in Lowestoft, outside for former Woolworths store, and tomorrow in Yarmouth outside Joyland on the seafront.
Staff from First and NHS Yarmouth and Waveney will offer advice and wallets will be issued on a first come, first served basis. Safe Journey Card inserts are available for download from www.firstgroup.com/safejourney.
- 1 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
- 2 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 3 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 4 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 5 Nine still under investigation after man knifed in village brawl
- 6 Suffolk braced for up to 10cm of snow as warnings upgraded
- 7 Police concerned for welfare of missing man
- 8 Missing man found safe and well
- 9 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 10 'Greedy' burglars who targeted community facilities in £122,000 crime spree are jailed