Cannonball find at new Pakefield High School site
A BUILDER working on the new Pakefield High School has made a surprise discovery at the site: a cannonball.
Stephen Holmes was amazed to find the old ordnance relic hidden in a lorryload of sand that was delivered to the site from Great Yarmouth outer harbour.
Mr Holmes, 34, from Yarmouth, said: 'I was levelling the sand and wondered what I had struck. It nearly broke my wrist.'
Having advertised the 28lb cannonball for sale for �60, it did not take Mr Holmes long to find a buyer, who told him he intended to give it to Yarmouth's Nelson Museum.
He said another three cannonballs were later found at the construction site, although their age was unclear.
Pakefield High, which is scheduled to open in September, is being built on the site of Pakefield Middle School, off Kilbourn Road. It will have 900 pupils.
The school is being built as part of the Suffolk schools organisational review, which will see all middle schools in Lowestoft closing next month as education in the town moves from a three to a two-tier system.
- 1 67-year-old Lowestoft drug dealer found with £200,000 of cocaine jailed
- 2 Fire officer to step down after 17 years of service for new role
- 3 'I was just really drunk' - man squared up to police after pub call-out
- 4 Man arrested in connection with Lowestoft assault
- 5 Lowestoft lighting the way in region's fight against food waste
- 6 Man appears in court for Lowestoft arson offences
- 7 'Wonderful': Stunning portrait of 'A Lowestoft Man' delights all
- 8 'Completely unacceptable': Dismay as church is targeted during vandalism spree
- 9 Stunning drone photos capture first snowfall this winter
- 10 Refillable Adnams beer, wine and gin hits high street stores