Cannonball find at new Pakefield High School site
A BUILDER working on the new Pakefield High School has made a surprise discovery at the site: a cannonball.
Stephen Holmes was amazed to find the old ordnance relic hidden in a lorryload of sand that was delivered to the site from Great Yarmouth outer harbour.
Mr Holmes, 34, from Yarmouth, said: 'I was levelling the sand and wondered what I had struck. It nearly broke my wrist.'
Having advertised the 28lb cannonball for sale for �60, it did not take Mr Holmes long to find a buyer, who told him he intended to give it to Yarmouth's Nelson Museum.
He said another three cannonballs were later found at the construction site, although their age was unclear.
You may also want to watch:
Pakefield High, which is scheduled to open in September, is being built on the site of Pakefield Middle School, off Kilbourn Road. It will have 900 pupils.
The school is being built as part of the Suffolk schools organisational review, which will see all middle schools in Lowestoft closing next month as education in the town moves from a three to a two-tier system.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 4 Local elections 2021: Green gains and Conservative majority in east Suffolk
- 5 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash
- 6 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 7 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 9 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 10 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'