Car dealer to go the extra mile
- Credit: Archant
A car dealer and complete newcomer to running will be going the extra mile later this month to boost a worthy cause.
Paul Barkshire, director at Lings Honda in Lowestoft, will be running the London Marathon on April 23, aiming to raise £10,000 for Children with Cancer UK.
The 54 year-old did not originally relish the thought of running – but now he is regularly spotted running around his hometown of Attleborough and has entered several official smaller races as he prepares for the 26-mile marathon.
Children with Cancer UK is the leading national children's charity dedicated to the fight against childhood cancer.
Mr Barkshire said: 'It's an amazing charity that I'm so proud to have been chosen to represent. We all have personal stories of both the young and old being affected by this awful illness and as a parent, and now a grandparent, you can't help but be moved and touched by the stories of resilience and love from beneficiaries of the charity.
You may also want to watch:
'It is a big fund-raising target I'm aiming for but this will make a huge difference. Any amount, no matter how small, will mean the world to me personally and to the charity. Together, I know we can smash the target and then it's just down to on me to deliver on the running!'
You can sponsor Mr Barkshire via www.justgiving.com/owner-email/pleasesponsor/Paul-Barkshire Alternatively, you can visit him at Lings Honda on Riverside Road, Lowestoft and pledge support.
- 1 Man who downloaded indecent images of children avoids jail
- 2 Man fled into KFC after being chased at knifepoint in Lowestoft
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 5 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 6 Fire crew called after child gets stuck in room with faulty latch
- 7 Extraordinary meeting called over village solar farm
- 8 Hotspot tourists targeted by virus ads safety message
- 9 Emotions high as Lowestoft evacuees meet for first time in two years
- 10 Father and son rescued by lifeguards after their boat capsized out at sea