Carlton Colville centre opened
AN education, play and care centre for children was officially opened in Lowestoft yesterday.Masterchef finalist Chris Gates was in town to cut the ribbon to open the new Uplands children centre, in Carlton Colville.
AN education, play and care centre for children was officially opened in Lowestoft yesterday.
Masterchef finalist Chris Gates was in town to cut the ribbon to open the new Uplands children centre, in Carlton Colville.
The centre, funded by Sure Start through Suffolk County Council, offers health services, a place for childminders and their children to play and help into employment through links with JobcentrePlus.
Mr Gates, who works at JobcentrePlus, in Lowestoft, and reached the final of the BBC Masterchef series earlier this year, said: 'The children seem to be having a great time. It has been a pleasure to be invited along.'
Childrens centre manager Judy Wright said: 'A big focus for us is on outdoor play, so we have created space with an emphasis on that. We also offer a range of services from baby massage to the mucky ducks messy play sessions for children 18 months and over.'
Charlotte Thornton, who attends Baby Play with one-year-old Faye, said: 'The staff are really friendly, it has a smiley atmosphere. There is lots of selection in what the children have to choose to play with, especially musical instruments.'
- 1 Taco Bell set to open in McDonald's former town centre premises
- 2 Coastwatch volunteer encourages public to stay on the lookout for body parts
- 3 WATCH: Moment teen pulls BB gun on shopkeeper
- 4 Man arrested and charged following robbery at Shell garage
- 5 Woman arrested after cannabis and edible highs seized in police raid
- 6 Work under way to provide beach access for everyone
- 7 Talented 12-year-old twins to represent England as stature of club grows
- 8 Lowestoft's new beach huts hit the market at £30,000 each
- 9 Blue Flag status returns to seaside town for first time since 2018
- 10 Jail for man caught with £1,000 of cocaine in car
For information on services available through the centre, telephone 01502 533580.