Carlton Colville centre opened
AN education, play and care centre for children was officially opened in Lowestoft yesterday.Masterchef finalist Chris Gates was in town to cut the ribbon to open the new Uplands children centre, in Carlton Colville.
AN education, play and care centre for children was officially opened in Lowestoft yesterday.
Masterchef finalist Chris Gates was in town to cut the ribbon to open the new Uplands children centre, in Carlton Colville.
The centre, funded by Sure Start through Suffolk County Council, offers health services, a place for childminders and their children to play and help into employment through links with JobcentrePlus.
Mr Gates, who works at JobcentrePlus, in Lowestoft, and reached the final of the BBC Masterchef series earlier this year, said: 'The children seem to be having a great time. It has been a pleasure to be invited along.'
Childrens centre manager Judy Wright said: 'A big focus for us is on outdoor play, so we have created space with an emphasis on that. We also offer a range of services from baby massage to the mucky ducks messy play sessions for children 18 months and over.'
Charlotte Thornton, who attends Baby Play with one-year-old Faye, said: 'The staff are really friendly, it has a smiley atmosphere. There is lots of selection in what the children have to choose to play with, especially musical instruments.'
- 1 67-year-old Lowestoft drug dealer found with £200,000 of cocaine jailed
- 2 Fire officer to step down after 17 years of service for new role
- 3 'I was just really drunk' - man squared up to police after pub call-out
- 4 Man arrested in connection with Lowestoft assault
- 5 Lowestoft lighting the way in region's fight against food waste
- 6 Man appears in court for Lowestoft arson offences
- 7 'Wonderful': Stunning portrait of 'A Lowestoft Man' delights all
- 8 'Completely unacceptable': Dismay as church is targeted during vandalism spree
- 9 Stunning drone photos capture first snowfall this winter
- 10 Refillable Adnams beer, wine and gin hits high street stores
For information on services available through the centre, telephone 01502 533580.