Carlton Colville centre opened
AN education, play and care centre for children was officially opened in Lowestoft yesterday.Masterchef finalist Chris Gates was in town to cut the ribbon to open the new Uplands children centre, in Carlton Colville.
AN education, play and care centre for children was officially opened in Lowestoft yesterday.
Masterchef finalist Chris Gates was in town to cut the ribbon to open the new Uplands children centre, in Carlton Colville.
The centre, funded by Sure Start through Suffolk County Council, offers health services, a place for childminders and their children to play and help into employment through links with JobcentrePlus.
Mr Gates, who works at JobcentrePlus, in Lowestoft, and reached the final of the BBC Masterchef series earlier this year, said: 'The children seem to be having a great time. It has been a pleasure to be invited along.'
You may also want to watch:
Childrens centre manager Judy Wright said: 'A big focus for us is on outdoor play, so we have created space with an emphasis on that. We also offer a range of services from baby massage to the mucky ducks messy play sessions for children 18 months and over.'
Charlotte Thornton, who attends Baby Play with one-year-old Faye, said: 'The staff are really friendly, it has a smiley atmosphere. There is lots of selection in what the children have to choose to play with, especially musical instruments.'
- 1 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 2 Emergency works cause early morning traffic chaos on A47
- 3 Boy attacked by man in woodland in Lowestoft
- 4 Royal Mail postboxes stolen from villages
- 5 'Marmite' beach huts supported despite disability concerns
- 6 Arson probe after flames from lit aerosol cans cause late night damage
- 7 Duo left shaken after youths threw stones and jumped on parked car
- 8 Woman suffering flashbacks and seizures after unprovoked attack
- 9 Teenage drink driver to appear in court after crash
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
For information on services available through the centre, telephone 01502 533580.