Carnival set to go ahead despite debt warnings
BECCLES Carnival will go ahead this year, despite warnings from organisers that debts from last year could put this summer's event in jeopardy.This week organisers announced a compromise which will see the staging of a two-day event - a compacted version of the previous three-day extravaganza.
BECCLES Carnival will go ahead this year, despite warnings from organisers that debts from last year could put this summer's event in jeopardy.
This week organisers announced a compromise which will see the staging of a two-day event - a compacted version of the previous three-day extravaganza.
They have also moved the date to the August bank holiday weekend, after the event clashed in previous years with other large festivals in the area, and decided to make the event free of charge in response to the economic downturn.
The Beccles Carnival Procession and Family Fun Weekend, which is taking the place of the traditional carnival, will be held at Beccles Quay on August 29 and 30.
The future of the event had been put in doubt due to a lack of interest in recent years, and a debt of �3,000 was still standing after last year's event.
Although the traditional daytime entertainment including the parade and teddy bear parade will go ahead, evening entertainment such as fireworks or live music has been cut out of the itinerary.
- 1 Roadworks to know about in Lowestoft this week
- 2 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 3 Families flock to coastal town centre ahead of switch-on event
- 4 Man charged and two arrested after victim hit with knife in assault
- 5 Man 'remains under investigation' after car crashed into home
- 6 New homes earmarked for former offices near town centre
- 7 Victorian theme attracts hundreds for town's festivities
- 8 Amelia Reynolds: 'I've learned to live a bit more in the present - enjoy the right now'
- 9 Man arrested in connection with Lowestoft assault
- 10 67-year-old Lowestoft drug dealer found with £200,000 of cocaine jailed
Annette Tackley, who is on the organising committee, said she expected the event to cost around �4,500 - but was optimistic that the funds would be raised.
'It does sound a big figure but we're positive we'll raise it,' she said. 'We will have stalls at the event, and we have some funding options through sponsorship.
'We're trying to get something for everyone. And it's going to be free entry, because we just thought that with how things are at the moment, with businesses and individuals, by giving a free event it would be better supported.'
She added that the move from July to August would help bring in crowds, saying: 'It's at the end of the school holidays, just before the kids go back to school and they're getting fed up, so this is something that's a fun and not costly for them to do,' she said.
She added that the carnival website would be up and running within a few weeks.
nyone wishing to sponsor the event, raise funds or join the working party should contact Annette Tackley on 01502 715671.