Cats’ anti-freeze death heartbreak for Lowestoft couple

Kate and Jon Coxon are concerned that somoene is poisoning their cats with anti-freeze.Kate and John

Kate and Jon Coxon are concerned that somoene is poisoning their cats with anti-freeze.Kate and John with house cat Myrtle. - Credit: Nick Butcher

A Lowestoft couple have been left heartbroken after losing their pet cats to anti-freeze poisoning for a second time.

Jeeves died from anti-freeze

Jeeves died from anti-freeze - Credit: Archant

Kate and Jon Coxon's two cats Jeeves and Wooster died from kidney failure, which was thought to be caused by antifreeze poisoning.

They also lost two other cats two years ago to suspected anti-freeze poisoning.

Mrs Coxon said she and her husband had owned cats for more than 20 years and had never experienced a problem until they moved from Bradwell, near Great Yarmouth, to Roman Road in Lowestoft four years ago.

She said: 'The first time it happened we told the police and they thought it was suspicious and it was deliberate.

Wooster died from anti-freeze

Wooster died from anti-freeze - Credit: Archant

'This time when it happened we went to the vet with the first cat and there were whisperings about the fact it was deliberate.

'When the second one fell ill, they said in their minds there was no doubt it was deliberate.

Most Read

'I can understand losing one cat by accident but losing four cats can't be a coincidence.'

Mrs Coxon, who works as part of the technical crew at Potters Leisure Resort in Hopton, said she didn't recognise the symptoms of anti-freeze poisoning when her cats were affected two years ago.

She said they had only been going outside for six months when they had fallen ill.

She said she and her husband had been reluctant to let Jeeves and Wooster out because of their previous experience but it was clear the young animals were desperate to be outside.

Within three months, both cats had died.

The couple also own a dog and an elderly cat that lives indoors and run a rat rescue centre called Shadowrat rescue.

Mrs Coxon said: 'I feel really angry and upset that someone can do this to somebody else's animals.

'If they were going in somebody's garden and causing trouble all they had to do is say 'keep your cats out of my garden' or squirt water at them or a throw a boot at them

'There is no need to go to such extreme measures.

'We don't have any children and we focus on our animals. They are like substitute children to me.'

Jeeves fell ill on September 23 and appeared quiet, with glassy eyes and no appetite before picking up the next morning. He began to vomit in the evening and had to be put to sleep on Thursday, September 25.

Wooster, who had been kept indoors since Jeeves had fallen ill on Tuesday, was put to sleep on Friday, September 26 after tests showed his kidneys were failing.

The couple have now been left with a £200 vet bill.

Mrs Coxon said she believed the cats had been poisoned within a small radius of the couple's home and is now appealing for anyone who has had a similar experience in the Roman Road area to email her at ratgirl66@hotmail.com

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter