Chance to take part in sandcastle competition in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
It is a traditional holiday pastime which can test your creative talents.
And today, a call has gone out to families and businesses in Lowestoft to join in with a popular summer pursuit – with the best Castles in the Sand being sought.
Lowestoft Lions are seeking people with creativity and a talent for originality, who can create a prize-winning sandcastle or sand sculpture as part of the town's inaugural Summer Festival.
They are organising a sandcastle competition, which will take place on Lowestoft's south beach – south of the Claremont Pier – on Sunday, July 19, from 10am to 1pm.
The competition, which has been sponsored by Persimmon Homes, will feature two classes – one for families and the other for corporate business teams.
You may also want to watch:
Teams are limited to six members and each will have a 5m x 5m plot of sand on which to construct their design.
Family entries will cost £10 per team but will offer the chance to win one of three cash prizes of £75, £50 or £25 – while corporate business entries will cost £25 per team with the glory of winning the Lowestoft Sandcastle Festival Trophy for the best creation.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 5 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 8 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
Lead organiser for Lowestoft Lions, Mark Lanham, said: 'The purpose of the sandcastle competition is primarily to provide entertainment for the local community and visitors but also to raise a little money for local based charities and projects.'
Entry forms can be downloaded online from the Lowestoft Lions website – www.lowestoftlions.org.uk – alternatively call 01502 718035 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Darren Newman, Lowestoft Vision BID manager, said: 'We are really excited to announce yet another attraction as part of the Lowestoft Summer Festival. 'With the Street Velodrome, the Parade on the Prom, school sports and now the sandcastle competition, the festival is building into great event – and there is still more to come.'