Charity cilmbers face tough challenge
A CLOSE knit group from the Lowestoft area are bracing themselves for an African vertical challenge.
Rachel and Kevin English, Matthew Bullard and Kev McGraine will be scaling Mount Kilimanjaro in August to raise �6,000 for the Bridge2Aid charity which provides dental treatment in Tanzania.
In preparation for their gruelling 5,800m mountain trek, the group have been walking in the north Suffolk countryside carrying 6kg of weight.
But no matter how hard they train, nothing will prepare them for what lies ahead as they reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Mrs English, 31, from Carlton Colville and a teacher at Kessingland Primary School, said: 'I have been reading up on Mount Kilimanjaro and about one third of people suffer from altitude sickness – no matter how fit they are.
You may also want to watch:
'This will be the hardest thing I have ever done.'
Mrs English and her husband Kevin, who works at Aviva in Norwich, signed up to the charity challenge after Mr McGraine, an offshore worker from Lowestoft, told them about how he was doing it at a barbecue.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 5 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
- 8 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
She said: 'He asked for some sponsorship, but I thought it sounded like an exciting challenge, an opportunity not to miss, so I signed up for it as well.'
The other climber is Mrs English's brother Matthew Bullard, 29, an electrician from Carlton Colville.
Each member hopes too raise �1,500 for Bridge2Aid, which provides dental treatment in the Mwanze region of Tanzania.
To sponsor them, visit www.justgiving.com/Rachel-English or www.justgiving.com/matthewbullard or www.justgving.com/kevinmcgraine