Charity cilmbers face tough challenge
A CLOSE knit group from the Lowestoft area are bracing themselves for an African vertical challenge.
Rachel and Kevin English, Matthew Bullard and Kev McGraine will be scaling Mount Kilimanjaro in August to raise �6,000 for the Bridge2Aid charity which provides dental treatment in Tanzania.
In preparation for their gruelling 5,800m mountain trek, the group have been walking in the north Suffolk countryside carrying 6kg of weight.
But no matter how hard they train, nothing will prepare them for what lies ahead as they reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Mrs English, 31, from Carlton Colville and a teacher at Kessingland Primary School, said: 'I have been reading up on Mount Kilimanjaro and about one third of people suffer from altitude sickness – no matter how fit they are.
'This will be the hardest thing I have ever done.'
Mrs English and her husband Kevin, who works at Aviva in Norwich, signed up to the charity challenge after Mr McGraine, an offshore worker from Lowestoft, told them about how he was doing it at a barbecue.
- 1 Man throws brick through living room window in Lowestoft
- 2 Hundreds bask in sun for return of 'wonderful' event
- 3 Have your say on redevelopment of station building vacant for 50 years
- 4 'Time for some you time': Unwind at brand new wellbeing retreat
- 5 Enjoy the wonders of hidden exotic garden at summer open days
- 6 Thieves break into garden and steal hot tub
- 7 Police hunt wanted man from Lowestoft
- 8 Alleged fly-tipper smashed through hedge after being locked inside property grounds
- 9 Roads 'likely' to flood as thunderstorms hit Suffolk
- 10 Over 120 free events planned for return of country's biggest heritage event
She said: 'He asked for some sponsorship, but I thought it sounded like an exciting challenge, an opportunity not to miss, so I signed up for it as well.'
The other climber is Mrs English's brother Matthew Bullard, 29, an electrician from Carlton Colville.
Each member hopes too raise �1,500 for Bridge2Aid, which provides dental treatment in the Mwanze region of Tanzania.
To sponsor them, visit www.justgiving.com/Rachel-English or www.justgiving.com/matthewbullard or www.justgving.com/kevinmcgraine