Charred remains show aftermath of fire at children's play area
- Credit: Mick Howes
A popular children's play area has been closed after equipment was badly damaged by a fire.
The children's play area at Normanston Park in Lowestoft remained cordoned off on Saturday afternoon after the blaze.
Firefighters had spent 15 minutes tackling the blaze in the play area of the popular park at 3.51am on Saturday, March 6.
A crew from Lowestoft South Fire Station responded in the early hours following reports of a fire in Normanston Park, Lowestoft.
They were called to the park off Normanston Drive and a brigade spokesman said: "Blue Watch from Lowestoft South Fire Station attended a fire during the night at Normanston Park in north Lowestoft.
"Children's play park equipment affected by fire, extinguished with one hose reel."
You may also want to watch:
The flames were quickly put out and the scene was cleared by 4.06am.
Police and the council were subsequently informed.
- 1 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 2 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 3 Emergency works cause early morning traffic chaos on A47
- 4 Boy attacked by man in woodland in Lowestoft
- 5 Royal Mail postboxes stolen from villages
- 6 'Marmite' beach huts supported despite disability concerns
- 7 Arson probe after flames from lit aerosol cans cause late night damage
- 8 Woman suffering flashbacks and seizures after unprovoked attack
- 9 Duo left shaken after youths threw stones and jumped on parked car
- 10 Lowestoft 'bold modern' beach huts decision pushed back
The Lowestoft Town Council-run play area was closed on Saturday, with tape cordoning off the entrance.
Charred remains showed where the blaze had damaged the play equipment, with children unable to access the popular play area.
On Saturday afternoon, a mum visiting Normanston Park with her children said it was "awful" to see the equipment damaged and the play area out of use.
One parent said her children "love going to that play park" while others described it as "selfish" and "so sad".