Search

Children taken to James Paget Hospital

PUBLISHED: 16:01 21 November 2008 | UPDATED: 21:51 05 July 2010

EIGHT children have been taken to hospital today after breathing in fumes from their school bus.

The children arrived at Hobart High School in Loddon complaining of breathing difficulties and nausea, while one was vomiting.

EIGHT children have been taken to hospital today after breathing in fumes from their school bus.

The children arrived at Hobart High School in Loddon complaining of breathing difficulties and nausea, while one was vomiting. They had been on the school bus from Ditchingham and other south Norfolk villages. At first they were looked after by school medical staff but by the time there were eight children complaining of feeling ill the emergency services were called.

Five ambulances were sent to the school just before 9am as well as two ambulance officers and an extra vehicle carrying oxygen. Fire engines and police also attended. Four children were taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston and four to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. Three have already been released from the N&N while the James Paget is planning to keep four in for observation. The children affected were boys and girls aged 11 to 14, including one boy with asthma.

A further 40 children were on the bus but are not feeling unwell. They were sent home early after being checked over.

Headteacher John Robson said: “They came in saying there was some smoke in the bus and they were not feeling well. They were reporting things like nausea, headaches and retching. By the time there were eight in our medical room, clearly we had to err on the side of caution and call in the emergency services, who arrived very quickly.

He said the bus company, Goldline Taxis, based in Beccles, had been running the county-council appointed bus for more than a year without problems.

A spokesman for Goldline said that the coach was being checked in nearby Lowestoft but it was not yet known what had gone wrong. He said that the company had never had that problem before.

A Norfolk police spokesman said that the coach, which was a dedicated school bus, was being investigated.

County council spokesman John Birchall said: “Members of the fire service and local police attended the incident and vehicle inspectors are currently examining the bus in order to determine the source of any fumes. Our first concern is for the welfare of the students and we have ensured that the vehicle will not return to service for Norfolk County Council until we are wholly satisfied that it is safe for use. Arrangements for an alternative bus for this route have been made.

“All vehicles used on home to school transport are subject to normal minimum standards. The county council and VOSA (Vehicle Operating Standards Agency) carry out spot checks at schools throughout the year to make sure that standards are maintained.”

An ambulance spokesman said: “We had reports of nine children suffering the effects of inhaling fumes from their school bus. They were reporting things like breathing difficulties. One patient had asthma and said it was being made worse. One patient was being sick and one patient was feeling sleepy.”

There was a similar incident at Framingham Earl High School, near Norwich, in June. Eleven pupils were taken to hospital and a major emergency operation launched, but nothing was found to be wrong with them and tests on the classroom found no carbon monoxide or gas leak.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists