Young volunteer receives recognition at the library
- Credit: Archant
A young volunteer has been recognised with an award for his valuable contribution at Lowestoft Library.
Christian Hutchings, 22, has been helping at the library in Clapham Road South since September 2015 – and he was thrilled to receive a Suffolk Libraries Volunteer award recently.
He works mainly in the library's County Reserve section which he enjoys. Christian says he feels more confident and he's learned things while he's been at the library.
Jo Wilde, Lowestoft Library Manager, said: 'It's been a pleasure watching Christian grow in confidence and his friendly interactions with the library staff have been a weekly highlight.
'We love the postcards he sends from his holidays, and the individual messages in our Christmas cards, too.'
You may also want to watch:
Christian's mum Rosie Hutchings, said: 'We were extremely proud and delighted to come and watch Christian get his award. We can't thank all the staff at the library enough, for all their help and support they have given to Christian.
'He truly enjoys his work at the library and it has given him a sense of purpose and allowed him to become more independent.'
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 3 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 4 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 5 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 6 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 7 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend
- 8 Concerns raised over 'excessive' feeding of ducks at popular pond
- 9 Swimmer in trouble at sea sparks lifeboat and coastguards response
- 10 Everything to see and do in Lowestoft
There are many volunteers across Suffolk who help to support the library service, whether it's helping out in libraries, helping to run the Home Library Service, reading with children during the Summer Reading Challenge or being part of the many library Friends groups.
Suffolk Libraries launched a volunteer award in 2016 to acknowledge some of the outstanding work they do. Christian was nominated for the 2017 award.