Lowestoft plays host to fun-filled Christmas Spectacular
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Festive fun took centre stage as a very special event took place in the town centre.
The Lowestoft Christmas Spectacular featured the biggest festive parade that the town has ever seen, and hundreds flocked to the town centre this afternoon for an early dose of seasonal joy.
As a bell sounded to signal the start of proceedings at 4pm, mascots led the parade from Station Square up London Road North towards the Marina Theatre, closely followed by a Santa Train.
On board were the cast of this year's Aladdin pantomime in full costume, with Ann Widdecombe dressed as the Empress of China and A1 boyband member Mark Read as the leading man.
Delighted families and children, many of whom attended in fancy dress, lined the streets to wave as the procession went by.
You may also want to watch:
Locals are this evening being treated to a feast of festivities including a fun fair, bouncy castle, giant snow globe, face painting, reindeer and two Christmas fairs with food, drink and gifts.
Shops will be staying open late until the event comes to a close at 8pm; there will also be free car parking from 4pm in all car parks, with the exception of the railway station.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 3 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 4 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 5 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 6 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 7 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
- 8 Tree planted in memory of town councillor who 'worked tirelessly'
- 9 Millions of bank customers hit by cashpoint and app glitch
- 10 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
The event has been organised by Discover Lowestoft, a project of Lowestoft Vision.