Cigarette bins rolled out in Lowestoft
IT'S a case of no ifs and no butts as part of a trial being rolled out by Waveney District Council to tackle cigarette litter.The council and its partner Waveney Norse have installed two special bins in Lowestoft town centre and Oulton Broad for cigarette ends.
IT'S a case of no ifs and no butts as part of a trial being rolled out by Waveney District Council to tackle cigarette litter.
The council and its partner Waveney Norse have installed two special bins in Lowestoft town centre and Oulton Broad for cigarette ends.
If the experiment is successful, the council will look to install up to 10 bins throughout Lowestoft in target areas containing shops and bus stops.
In Lowestoft town centre, a stainless steel bin has been attached to a finger post next to HSBC bank, and over at Bridge Road, Oulton Broad, a similar one in black is in place.
You may also want to watch:
Both areas have been identified as the worst for cigarette rubbish after a recent inspection by the council's cleansing team.
Mike Daniels, cleansing manager at Waveney, said the bins cost around �100 each.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 3 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 4 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 5 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 6 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
- 7 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 8 Town's ultrafast broadband bid back on track
- 9 School warning after social media post about girls being approached
- 10 Tree planted in memory of town councillor who 'worked tirelessly'
Ken Sale, portfolio holder for the environment at the council, said: 'Although you are never far from a litter bin in the centre of town, cigarette bins serve a recognisable purpose and we want to see if they have an impact on the level of litter in a targeted area.'
The level of use will be monitored until Easter.