Community leaders in Lowestoft call on ministers to keep funding pledges
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Community leaders have welcomed a series of announcements which have promised funding for infrastructure vital to Lowestoft's future - but have urged the government to make good its promises after years of waiting.
A week of good news came when environment secretary Elizabeth Truss visited to inspect work on the town's Northern Spine Road, with a pledge that the area would see the benefit of a £300million host of improvements to the A47. Two days later it emerged that Lowestoft had won a £7million slice of a £2.3billion pot of cash set aside for flood defence schemes.
However work on the flood defences would start in 2016 at the earliest - and only provided the cash for the rest of the £30.3million scheme can be found. There are also no specific details of further improvements to the A12 between Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth, only that it will be renumbered as the A47 and therefore be more likely to attract new funding as part of a major trunk road.
James Reeder, chairman of the Waveney and Lowestoft Chamber of Commerce, said:
'The chamber certainly welcomes news of investment for the A47.
You may also want to watch:
'Once again, we would welcome the fact Lowestoft has been mentioned within the flood defence strategy. However we want to see these things actually happening as soon as possible.'
What do you think? Email email@example.com
- 1 Lowestoft man kicked victim in head as he lay on the ground
- 2 Scheme unveiled for former pub and butchers on town's High Street
- 3 Air ambulance responds after man in 30s suffers emergency in Kessingland
- 4 Why a strange light was seen flying over Lowestoft
- 5 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 6 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 7 Hunt continues for two men involved in assault in Lowestoft
- 8 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 9 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 10 Hunt for three men 'ongoing' after victim hit during Lowestoft assault