Councillor bemoans ‘mindless hooliganism’ after beach huts are overturned in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
A councillor has described how he is 'absolutely appalled' by the 'mindless hooliganism' that resulted in five beach huts being tipped over on the lower promenade in Lowestoft.
Police are treating the incidents as criminal damage after the huts were vandalised, close to Claremont Road, in the early hours of Sunday, December 20.
Stephen Ardley, cabinet member for operational partnerships, said: 'We are absolutely appalled by this mindless hooliganism and we will be working with the police to try and identify the perpetrators.
'These sites are let by the Sentinel Leisure Trust and colleagues from the Trust contacted the beach hut owners and police as soon as they became aware of what had happened.
'They also helped with repairs, while the police will be reviewing CCTV footage from the scene.
You may also want to watch:
'In partnership with Sentinel and Waveney Norse, the council invested in new CCTV cameras on the seafront in the spring and we hope that we will be able to catch who is responsible for this mindless act.'
? Anyone with information about the vandalism should call police at Lowestoft on 101, quoting crime number 22310/15.
- 1 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 2 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 3 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 4 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 5 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 6 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
- 7 Dad's anger as Lowestoft play area closed off months after daughter's fall
- 8 Woman in 60s airlifted to hospital after medical emergency
- 9 Work to locate 'buried oil deposits' on beach after Eleni V tanker spill
- 10 Works to restore shopfronts dating back to 1860s on High Street