Hundreds honour community stalwart with procession through town
- Credit: Archant
A seaside town has paid tribute to the life of a long-serving councillor with a large parade honouring her years of dedication and service.
The civic funeral of former Southwold mayor Sue Allen took place today at St Edmund's Church.
Hundreds lined the streets as Mrs Allen's wicker coffin, which was adorned with flowers, was pulled on a horse and cart through the town.
Family, friends and colleagues from Waveney District Council and Southwold Town Council followed behind.
Southwold mayor Michael Rowan-Robinson said: 'It was a sombre occasion but a lot of people turned out.
You may also want to watch:
'The church, which holds around 400 people, was completely packed by those who knew and respected her.
'She was a major figure in the town's politics and fought very hard for Southwold.
- 1 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 2 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 3 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 4 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 5 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 6 Families urged to lock their sheds after string of burglaries
- 7 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 8 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 9 Severe delays on A146 after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Stricken yacht towed to safety by lifeboat crew
'She was fantastically hardworking for the community and as a person she was so warm and friendly.'
Mrs Allen, 78, died suddenly on Monday, April 30.