Hundreds honour community stalwart with procession through town
- Credit: Archant
A seaside town has paid tribute to the life of a long-serving councillor with a large parade honouring her years of dedication and service.
The civic funeral of former Southwold mayor Sue Allen took place today at St Edmund's Church.
Hundreds lined the streets as Mrs Allen's wicker coffin, which was adorned with flowers, was pulled on a horse and cart through the town.
Family, friends and colleagues from Waveney District Council and Southwold Town Council followed behind.
Southwold mayor Michael Rowan-Robinson said: 'It was a sombre occasion but a lot of people turned out.
You may also want to watch:
'The church, which holds around 400 people, was completely packed by those who knew and respected her.
'She was a major figure in the town's politics and fought very hard for Southwold.
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 7 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 8 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 9 Boat rescued after getting into difficulty near pier
- 10 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
'She was fantastically hardworking for the community and as a person she was so warm and friendly.'
Mrs Allen, 78, died suddenly on Monday, April 30.