Councils pool expertise in teams merger
A PARTNERSHIP is being put in place to help two councils improve their systems of checks and balances.From yesterday, Waveney and Suffolk Coastal District Councils merged their internal audit teams to ensure they are providing high- quality services.
A PARTNERSHIP is being put in place to help two councils improve their systems of checks and balances.
From yesterday, Waveney and Suffolk Coastal District Councils merged their internal audit teams to ensure they are providing high- quality services.
The move is the latest in a series of partnerships between the two authorities. Stephen Baker has been chief executive at both councils since March last year, and in October the two bodies decided they would share the same head of planning services, and Philip Ridley has taken up that role.
Waveney has been under pressure to improve its system of internal checks since announcing in May that it faces a potential overspend of nearly �5m this financial year
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Coastal already operates a successful audit partnership with Ipswich Borough Council and bringing Waveney on board will save the authority thousands of pounds.
Ray Herring, leader of Suffolk Coastal, said: 'These changes will deliver a further small saving for this council of �9,000 a year, but it will also mean the sharing of expertise across the councils will mean even better services, with the staff gaining wider knowledge and experience.'
- 1 Cannabis factory discovered after police called to burglary
- 2 'Slowly drowning' - Publican's concerns over Tier 2 restrictions
- 3 Bridge to close with traffic set to be diverted
- 4 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 5 Nine arrests after baseball bats and knives used in brawl in village
- 6 Police arrest wanted 55-year-old man who was missing for 5 months
- 7 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 8 Wanted man from Lowestoft arrested in London
- 9 Seven arrested and three charged with supplying cocaine after large police presence in village
- 10 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
He added: 'Our internal audit service has already been working highly successfully in partnership with Ipswich and combining with Waveney will increase the benefits for all three councils.'