Search

Court hears how gang burned boy

PUBLISHED: 09:15 25 February 2010 | UPDATED: 16:27 06 July 2010

A TEENAGER suffered a terrifying ordeal at the hands of youths, who tied him to a pole and burned him with flames from cigarettes and lighters, a court heard yesterday.

A TEENAGER suffered a terrifying ordeal at the hands of youths, who tied him to a pole and burned him with flames from cigarettes and lighters, a court heard yesterday.

Magistrates at North East Suffolk Youth Court, in Lowestoft, were told that the 13-year-old victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was tied to a linen pole during the attack.

The details of the assault, which happened in Lowestoft on August 21 last year, came to light yesterday as the third member of the gang involved was given a custodial sentence for his part in the “violent and vicious” attack.

A 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named, was yesterday sentenced to a six-month detention and training order (DTO) after being found guilty of assault at an earlier trial.

Corinne Gook-Hurren, prosecuting, said that the 13-year-old was attacked in a garden in Lowestoft.

She said: “They forced him [the victim] outside, where he was tied to a linen pole. He couldn't pull himself free.

“They sprayed his clothes with deodorant and used cigarette lighters to spray flames at him.”

The 13-year-old had burns on his face and arms after the attack, during which cigarettes were stubbed out on his head by two of the youths.

Richard Mann, for the 15-year-old, said: “We're not dealing here with somebody who is a danger to the community. He is only 15 and has had a very difficult time in the past.”

Chairman of the bench John Stannard said: “This was a sustained, violent and vicious attack. We believe this offence was so serious that only a custodial sentence should be passed.”

The two other teenage boys involved in the attack - a 14-year-old and one who is now 16, both from the Lowestoft area - pleaded guilty to assault at court in Lowestoft at a previous hearing and were given 12-month DTOs, which have now been reduced to eight months following an appeal.

The 14-year-old was also made subject to a two-year antisocial behaviour order (ASBO).

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists