Police “keeping an open mind” for possible link between sexual assaults
- Credit: Archant
Police say they are 'keeping an open mind' on whether two sexual assaults in Lowestoft are linked.
On Saturday, a 16-year-old girl reported being sexually assaulted in Crown Meadow Walk, near Lowestoft Town Football Club, after she became separated from her group of friends.
She was touched on the leg by a man walking behind her and when she turned around he sexually assaulted her.
The victim managed to push him away and then ran off and made contact with her friends.
The sexual assault occurred between 10.15pm and 10.30pm by a suspect who was described as white, of slim build and with facial stubble. He was wearing a baggy hooded top with the hood up and grey tracksuit bottoms.
You may also want to watch:
Two weeks earlier an 18-year-old woman was sexually assaulted one-mile away in an alleyway between Field View Drive and Barnards Meadow.
The assault took place at around 2.55pm on Monday, May 7 when the woman was grabbed from behind and knocked to the ground before being sexually touched and physically assaulted by a man.
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 4 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 5 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 6 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 7 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 8 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 9 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 10 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
The victim, who required medical treatment, fought back and during the struggle bit the attacker on his left hand before he made off on a mountain bike.
That suspect was described as a white man, in his mid 20s to early 30s, of slim build with short dark brown hair. He was wearing wrap around style sunglasses and a bright blue t-shirt which possibly had white markings on it.
Describing latest incident, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: 'The investigation is in its initial stages and at this point we are keeping an open mind as to whether it is linked to the earlier incident.'
Clare Gildroy, who lives in nearby May Road, branded the attacks as 'concerning'.
She said: 'It's rather shocking that it is happening in this area – it's usually quiet. It's concerning when I let my little girl play out around here.'
Anyone with information about the attacks is asked to contact East Safeguarding Unit in Lowestoft on 101 quoting reference number 27335/18 for Saturday's attack or 24777/18 for the incident on May 7.
Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.