Crackdown on Lowestoft's unlicensed taxis
Hayley MacePeople are being encouraged to check that taxis are safe and legal after reports of unlicensed drivers operating around Lowestoft.Waveney District Council, which licenses taxis and private hire vehicles, has asked taxi users to report any suspected unlicensed cabs in a bid to crackdown on fake drivers.Hayley Mace
People are being encouraged to check that taxis are safe and legal after reports of unlicensed drivers operating around Lowestoft.
Waveney District Council, which licenses taxis and private hire vehicles, has asked taxi users to report any suspected unlicensed cabs in a bid to crackdown on fake drivers.
Councillor Kath Grant said: 'Travelling by taxi is convenient and, for the most part, very safe. Personal security is of the utmost importance and we urge everyone to be aware of who is driving you to your destination, and if the taxi you're about to use has been licensed by the council.
'It's very straightforward to check that a taxi is licensed, most simply by reading the license issued by the council, which should be clearly displayed in the car.'
You may also want to watch:
Signs that a taxi might not be licensed include old cars in poor condition, if there is no meter, if there is no taxi licence, if the driver has to ask you for directions or appears not to know to area or if the cab jumps to the front of a taxi queue.
If you see an unlicensed taxi, or one which you believe to be unlicensed, contact Waveney's customer services team on 01502 562111 and make a note of the registration number.
- 1 Storms uncover another large Suffolk shipwreck
- 2 Hit-and-run leaves cyclist with head injuries
- 3 Decision to develop 33 homes in field deferred
- 4 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
- 5 Bid to demolish care home and build new one rejected
- 6 Two people injured after crash between BMW and Vauxhall
- 7 Seafront beach chalets demolished as part of major £1.6m scheme
- 8 Plan passed to turn care home into 11 rooms for adults with complex needs
- 9 Hospital first in UK to open vaccine clinic for people with disabilities
- 10 Man in 70s airlifted to hospital following fall from bike