Crackdown on Lowestoft's unlicensed taxis
Hayley MacePeople are being encouraged to check that taxis are safe and legal after reports of unlicensed drivers operating around Lowestoft.Waveney District Council, which licenses taxis and private hire vehicles, has asked taxi users to report any suspected unlicensed cabs in a bid to crackdown on fake drivers.Hayley Mace
People are being encouraged to check that taxis are safe and legal after reports of unlicensed drivers operating around Lowestoft.
Waveney District Council, which licenses taxis and private hire vehicles, has asked taxi users to report any suspected unlicensed cabs in a bid to crackdown on fake drivers.
Councillor Kath Grant said: 'Travelling by taxi is convenient and, for the most part, very safe. Personal security is of the utmost importance and we urge everyone to be aware of who is driving you to your destination, and if the taxi you're about to use has been licensed by the council.
'It's very straightforward to check that a taxi is licensed, most simply by reading the license issued by the council, which should be clearly displayed in the car.'
You may also want to watch:
Signs that a taxi might not be licensed include old cars in poor condition, if there is no meter, if there is no taxi licence, if the driver has to ask you for directions or appears not to know to area or if the cab jumps to the front of a taxi queue.
If you see an unlicensed taxi, or one which you believe to be unlicensed, contact Waveney's customer services team on 01502 562111 and make a note of the registration number.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 3 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 4 Lowestoft house fire starts in tumble dryer and rips through conservatory
- 5 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 6 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 7 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 8 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 9 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
- 10 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight