Safety initiative cancelled amid pandemic
- Credit: Archant
A popular annual event that has helped thousands of children to stay safe within the community, online and at home has been cancelled amid the continuing coronavirus pandemic.
The Rotary Crucial Crew event – a national safety initiative – had been planned to take place from November 9 to November 20 at Lowestoft Community Church.
But organisers from the Rotary Clubs in Lowestoft and the Rotary Club of Beccles, have “with sadness” cancelled the multi-agency project aimed at Year 6 students for this year.
A spokesman for the event organisers said: “Coming after 16 consecutive years of being able to advise annually around 1,200 year six pupils from some 34 primary schools in experiencing how to keep safe in their daily lives, it is extremely disappointing that the event cannot take place this year.”
Each year the pupils learn valuable skills as they are presented with eight different scenarios and how to keep safe in real-life situations, as the pupils from schools in Lowestoft and Waveney enjoy the ‘Crucial Crew’ experience.”
You may also want to watch:
Rotarian Brian Hunter, the co-ordinator of Crucial Crew, added: “We are very appreciative and wish to thank all our scenario presenters who in co-operation with schools have made the Crucial Crew event possible.
“We will be working very hard to bring the event back in 2021 and sincerely our desire is to continue working with the same agencies as before.”
- 1 Police arrest wanted 55-year-old man who was missing for 5 months
- 2 Nine arrests after baseball bats and knives used in brawl in village
- 3 Seven arrested and three charged with supplying cocaine after large police presence in village
- 4 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 5 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 6 Bridge to close with traffic set to be diverted
- 7 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 8 Safety plea after child pictured at base of crumbling cliff
- 9 'Slowly drowning' - Publican's concerns over Tier 2 restrictions
- 10 Cannabis factory discovered after police called to burglary
Running Crucial Crew requires scenarios from Suffolk Police, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, St John Ambulance, Network Rail, Lowestoft Lifeguards, Truck safe, Inspire Suffolk and Suffolk Road Safety.
It also requires assistance from the three Rotary Clubs in Lowestoft, Lowestoft, South and East Point, Beccles Rotary Club and Halesworth Lions.
To find out more about the Rotary Crucial Crew presentation email Brian Hunter via firstname.lastname@example.org