Safety initiative cancelled amid pandemic
- Credit: Archant
A popular annual event that has helped thousands of children to stay safe within the community, online and at home has been cancelled amid the continuing coronavirus pandemic.
The Rotary Crucial Crew event – a national safety initiative – had been planned to take place from November 9 to November 20 at Lowestoft Community Church.
But organisers from the Rotary Clubs in Lowestoft and the Rotary Club of Beccles, have “with sadness” cancelled the multi-agency project aimed at Year 6 students for this year.
A spokesman for the event organisers said: “Coming after 16 consecutive years of being able to advise annually around 1,200 year six pupils from some 34 primary schools in experiencing how to keep safe in their daily lives, it is extremely disappointing that the event cannot take place this year.”
Each year the pupils learn valuable skills as they are presented with eight different scenarios and how to keep safe in real-life situations, as the pupils from schools in Lowestoft and Waveney enjoy the ‘Crucial Crew’ experience.”
You may also want to watch:
Rotarian Brian Hunter, the co-ordinator of Crucial Crew, added: “We are very appreciative and wish to thank all our scenario presenters who in co-operation with schools have made the Crucial Crew event possible.
“We will be working very hard to bring the event back in 2021 and sincerely our desire is to continue working with the same agencies as before.”
- 1 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 2 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 5 Charity walkers celebrate some unexpected news
- 6 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 7 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 8 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 9 'An appalling state' - bereaved criticises cemetery wildlife campaign
- 10 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
Running Crucial Crew requires scenarios from Suffolk Police, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, St John Ambulance, Network Rail, Lowestoft Lifeguards, Truck safe, Inspire Suffolk and Suffolk Road Safety.
It also requires assistance from the three Rotary Clubs in Lowestoft, Lowestoft, South and East Point, Beccles Rotary Club and Halesworth Lions.
To find out more about the Rotary Crucial Crew presentation email Brian Hunter via firstname.lastname@example.org