Cub Scouts celebrate their centenary with a Gang Show in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
It has been many years since Lowestoft had a Gang Show.
But as the scouting movement celebrates the 100th year of Cub Scouts a show is being staged to mark the centenary.
About 140 youngsters from seven local packs have been rehearsing for the past two months for the show – which is being performed over four days at the Players Theatre in Battery Green Road, Lowestoft.
With three different sets of performers taking to the stage for two performances each, a dedicated team of scout leaders from 1st Oulton Broad, 4th Lowestoft, 14th Lowestoft, 1st Blundeston, 1st Carlton Colville, 1st Pakefield and 2nd Carlton Colville groups has worked hard to put the Gang Show together.
The show opens in the usual way with the cast singing 'Crest of a Wave' and has a mix of both traditional and original material to entertain the 200-strong audiences at each performance.
You may also want to watch:
Lowestoft District Commissioner Mel Buck said: 'Many will have fond memories of these shows at Sparrows Nest where normally a Gang Show would include older Scouts and Explorers but as this is the centenary of Cub Scouting they decided to do it all themselves.
'A lot of hard work has gone into producing the Gang Show and for many of the youngsters, who are all aged between eight and ten-and-a-half years old, it is the first time that they have performed on a stage – so they are really brave to walk out in front of so many people.'
- 1 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 2 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
- 3 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 4 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 5 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 6 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 7 Your Lowestoft Journal has a new community editor
- 8 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
The show opened last night (Thursday) and continues with performances this evening (Friday) and two shows tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday.