Cubs football tournament sees competitive matches held in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
TOURNAMENT WIN: The annual Cubs five-a-side football tournament was won by 1st Carlton Colville for the second successive year.
Seven teams from the district's Cub packs took part in the tournament, held recently at Ormiston Denes Academy Sports Hall.
The young players were split into two leagues to battle it out in the knockout stages of the competition.
Teams from the 1st Oulton Broad and 4th Lowestoft packs reached the semi finals, but were then defeated in their matches.
Then in an exciting final and cheered on by noisy spectators, 1st Carlton Colville ran out the eventual winners in a closely fought match – beating 1st Blundeston by a 2 – 1 score-line.
You may also want to watch:
Presenting the awards, Maurice Garrod thanked all the referees, leaders and families for supporting the competition.
He also thanked the players for all their efforts and for making the event such a success.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 5 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 6 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
Paul Cator, assistant district commissioner for Cubs, said: '2016 is the centenary of cub scouts in the Lowestoft district and as well as the usual variety of competitions, of which the 5-a-side indoor football contest was the first, there would be a number of special activities to look forward to during the year - to celebrate the milestone.'