Cubs football tournament sees competitive matches held in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
TOURNAMENT WIN: The annual Cubs five-a-side football tournament was won by 1st Carlton Colville for the second successive year.
Seven teams from the district's Cub packs took part in the tournament, held recently at Ormiston Denes Academy Sports Hall.
The young players were split into two leagues to battle it out in the knockout stages of the competition.
Teams from the 1st Oulton Broad and 4th Lowestoft packs reached the semi finals, but were then defeated in their matches.
Then in an exciting final and cheered on by noisy spectators, 1st Carlton Colville ran out the eventual winners in a closely fought match – beating 1st Blundeston by a 2 – 1 score-line.
You may also want to watch:
Presenting the awards, Maurice Garrod thanked all the referees, leaders and families for supporting the competition.
He also thanked the players for all their efforts and for making the event such a success.
- 1 Young woman sets up new business with big plans for the future
- 2 Memorial service for 'wonderful' veteran who helped the community
- 3 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 4 'Special' feeling for care home staff following award nominations
- 5 Victorian footbridge in Lowestoft set to undergo 'significant repairs'
- 6 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 9 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 10 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
Paul Cator, assistant district commissioner for Cubs, said: '2016 is the centenary of cub scouts in the Lowestoft district and as well as the usual variety of competitions, of which the 5-a-side indoor football contest was the first, there would be a number of special activities to look forward to during the year - to celebrate the milestone.'