Cycle bridge cost shock
I WAS shocked to read (The Journal, April 3) that Suffolk County Council is intending to spend �675,000 on a cycle bridge across the railway at Oulton Broad South.
I WAS shocked to read (The Journal, April 3) that Suffolk County Council is intending to spend �675,000 on a cycle bridge across the railway at Oulton Broad South. How on earth do they think that this will in anyway relieve the traffic congestion in the town centre?
Very many people now rather shop elsewhere due to the traffic congestion and ever-increasing car parking charges in central Lowestoft but building cycle lanes and cycle bridges is not going to regenerate the sadly flagging town centre.
By choosing to spend �1m on cycle paths and bridle ways, including the �675,000 on a new cycle bridge, Suffolk County Council is wasting tax payers' money, as it would be better spent in trying to get more people into the town centre and able to get their shopping home, preferably not on handle bars.
Suffolk County Council is showing a lack of vision in not backing a third crossing. If the county council is serious about trying to reduce the traffic congestion in central Lowestoft, then surely they can see that the only way of doing this is to divert all through traffic away from the overloaded bascule bridge.
You may also want to watch:
It is obvious to me that what is required is a modern 'fit for purpose' bridge which links the new roads from south and north of the town.
- 1 Centre of Lowestoft is a 'coronavirus hotspot'
- 2 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 3 Driver arrested for third time after drug driving
- 4 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 5 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 6 Man arrested and drugs seized in police raid
- 7 'Be vigilant' - man's warning after attempted car break-in
- 8 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 9 People 'clambering over and fishing from' danger defences
- 10 Woman's four stone weight loss success despite global pandemic
Birch Tree House