Dead woman found in Yarmouth
AN eastern European woman has been found dead near Great Yarmouth's seafront only days after she moved to the town.The 62-year-old Lithuanian woman was found hanging in a flat in Apsley Road on Friday morning.
AN eastern European woman has been found dead near Great Yarmouth's seafront only days after she moved to the town.
The 62-year-old Lithuanian woman was found hanging in a flat in Apsley Road on Friday morning.
Today the Yarmouth Coroner's Office said it could not officially confirm the woman's identity as very little information is known about her and her relatives.
Coroner's officers will be talking to members of the Lithuanian community tomorrow to see if they can help translate some of the woman's documents to discover any clues to her background.
You may also want to watch:
The Lithuanian embassy has also been asked for help in tracking down the woman's next of kin.
It is hoped a member of her family can be found so a formal identification can be made and an inquest can go ahead.
- 1 Man dies following collision on A12
- 2 Traffic problems as bridge lights stuck on red
- 3 'Foolish' - Landowner could face prosecution after drilling into trees
- 4 Dangerous double drug-driver awaits sentence for injuring cyclist
- 5 17-year-old boy missing for more than a month found
- 6 A12 re-opens following serious three-vehicle crash
- 7 Heroin addict who burgled neighbour's home four times is jailed
- 8 'We didn't get fair hearing' - Care group's anger at new home refusal
- 9 Roads closed and traffic diverted for pothole repairs
- 10 Work to resume on £15m project to give thousands ultrafast broadband
It is believed she was Violeta Pocopkiene and had previously travelled across America.
She had only moved to her Yarmouth flat in the last few days and her neighbours knew very little about her.
Coroner's officer Steve Turner said: 'She appears to have only been living in Yarmouth a very short time and unfortunately no one knows anything about her or her next of kin.'
The woman's body was found at about 10am on Friday and firefighters had to put up a screen so residents could not see her body through the flat's window.
Police say they are not treating the incident as suspicious.
Anyone who has information about the dead woman is being asked to call the Yarmouth Coroner's Office on 01493 452477.