Decision day for Lowestoft workers
EMPLOYEES at the Wessex Foods factory that was was destroyed by fire during the summer will find out about the future of their jobs today.
The food processing factory in Hadenham Road, on the South Lowestoft Industrial Estate, was gutted in July, and its 150 workers have all been part of a 90-day consultation into possible redundancies.
The consultation process finishes today, and meetings are to be held between staff and management.
The Irish-based company managed to send orders to some of its other factories after the blaze, which is believed to have started in a chiller unit.
It had been hoped that the factory would reopen on a new site in on near Lowestoft, but this has not been the case – leaving employees pessimistic about their chances of retaining their jobs.
You may also want to watch:
During this week, demolition workers have been on the factory site, using diggers to clear the final remnants of the ruined buildings.
- 1 Lowestoft woman accused of setting her own flat on fire
- 2 Fire fighters battle woodland blaze near Lowestoft
- 3 ‘Great opportunity’: Flats in coastal town set for auction
- 4 Classic VW camper van gutted by fire on A47
- 5 Development of iconic Gull Wing bridge to be documented by local company
- 6 Thief smashed window to steal money box from car
- 7 Filthy houses sought to feature in Channel 5 show
- 8 Girl's horse riding dreams shattered after vandals target equipment
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Visually impaired woman urges people with diabetes to get retinal screenings